Thread: iMac has arrived, now what?

Ok, I just got my iMac today. It seems to run fine. I've booted into both OS 9 and OS X. Tried out a few things in each. No problems.

Now I plan to do a couple things and I want to confirm I'm on the right path.

I want to partition the disk into 15g for OS X, 5g for OS 9, and the remaining 20g for miscellaneous data. This will necessitate initializing and re-installing everything, correct?

So should I do that initialization/partitioning from the OS X or OS 9 CD?

Does it matter which OS I install first after the drive is ready?

And what are the 6 software restore disks that came with the computer and how are they different from the Applications disk?

Also, I ordered 512M of RAM for this iMac. Any recommendations on whether I should install it before doing all of the above or after?

Thanks.

Jim

I got my Mac a couple month's ago and it has also worked flawlessly. I still have total G4 MDD envy when i think that I am out of the upgrade market for a couple years...but anyway...
    1. If you MUST partition, and i really con't think of any advantages of doing so, but if you must i think you want to do it from your osX install disk, and be sure to install all the os9 drivers so that you can then go in and install os9 after.
    2. The 6 restore disks are just that..they will restore the imac back to the way it came out of the factory. The application disk just contains a few apps you make want to add.
    3. I would put the ram in now and run it for a few days before you go and wipe out the system to do your partiton thing. Just so you know later if you run into problems that the ram is not the cause.
    4. So what are you hoping to gain by partitioning? Just curious.
    5. Oh..and by the way here is something i discovered after looking at the small fuzzy text for a month or so...open up the display panel and click nito the expert mode...change the gamma to 2.4 and change the color tempt to about 6250k...then adjust the brightness to what looks good to you. This should be a HUGE improvement over the factory settings.
    6. Welome to the world of imac...so did you get the new 17" 1gig?

Partitioning came highly recommended on this forum. There were a couple lines of reasoning, IIRC, but it boils down to ease of solving problems in the future. If one system is messed up, I can boot from the other volume. I suppose I can always boot from the CD, anyway.

Now I've got a vote against partitioning and a couple votes for. If the advantages are negligible, I'd rather not go through the trouble. I guess I'll hold off on it until I hear a bit more. In the meantime, I'll stick in that RAM.

The iMac I got was one of the 15" / Combo Drive/ 700mhz / refurb models for $999. So far, I love it.

Jim

Jim

Yes boot from your OS X CD and erase/partition -so yes you will erase and install everything - I never installed the 6 disks only the System disk - afterwards you might want to check your "software update" and upgrade if needed.

It will install both X and 9 drivers - by defaut I think -- but look for an OS 9 driver box while installing.

Install in any order. - select a startup system in your preferences.

Enjoy
    Randy