Thread: Bootable OS9 MDD Macs built slower....?

I'm thinking about buying one of the older, OS9 bootable MDDs. I'm wondering, has Mac modified them in some way (slow them down) to run both X and 9? I'm thinking that some day in the future, when I'm rid of OS9 -- got to play in that sandbox for a while longer -- will I have a slightly slower machine than one that was built exclusively for X?

Thanks for any insight into this...

-- TypeRighter

?Good question.

?The difference to run OS9 is actually firmware and rom based. To support OS9 takes different code. Fitting both OSX and OS9 code on the rom was getting tough, no more room to add features to X. And besides, Apple is done supporting OS9 on its new machines, save a ton of dough.

?So, advantages in the new G4 not in the OS9 G4. I believe 800 MB Firewire. Quieter fans. A little different layout on the motherboard.

?Speed, no difference I'm aware of. that's not to say that somebody won't post something I've missed, happens a lot around here I guess you can't get a 1.4 gigger that will boot OS9.

?I think you'll enjoy your new Mac OS9 or not.

Rick

Okay, good answer Ricks. That leads me to the next question: Okay, so I buy the bootable OS9 MDD. I'm thinking that when I'm all done using OS9 forever, I can probably update the firmware and ROM to run OSX exclusively.

Does this sound plausible?

Thanks again for responses, it's already proven helpful...

Anybody seen/played with this yet?:

Booting OS 9 On New PowerMacs

Yes. We all knew it would happen, didn't we? I'm reluctantly posting the retro-hack found on MacBidouille tonight...

- Install Tinkertool
    - Make all folders visible
    - Relaunch the Finder
    - Insert the Restore CD 1 and click on '.images'
    - Double-click on OS9General.dmg
    - Copy the System Folder to your harddrive
    - Reboot.

Followup Info On Booting OS 9 On New PowerMacs

A few readers have written in with their experience with the tip about booting OS 9 on the new machines. For some it simply worked like that, others couldn't choose their OS 9 partition for booting. MacBidouille has got some new info about it, too. Apparently, you can't install OS 9 from an original OS 9 CD, but you can take an installed OS 9 from an older PowerMac and installing it on a partition on the new PowerMac. (fryke)

-> Read more at: MacBidouille Followup (in French)

Published at 10:25 CET on 25. Feb. 2003

Here is the origin: http://mac.fryke.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi

***No idea if this works, why, or if there is any risk in attempting***

?First, I don't think it is advisable to 'play' with the Apple rom code. I also don't believe that there is much to gain. As Apple releases newer versions of OSX and newer computers Apple will get farther and farther from the hardware being able to support all the functions of OS9 and OSX will begin to get functions that only newer hardware will support, like Firewire 800.

?You will gain no hardware abilities changing the rom code beyond what Apple will already accomplish via OS updates. With New World Macs having the majority of the rom stored on the boot disk Apple does VERY VERY few rom updates on the motherboard rom chips. They don't have to. So new functionality is gotten through updates to the portion of the rom that is stored on the hard drive. These come out completely invisibly to the user via each and every OS update.

?The onboard rom is specifically designed for that particular computers hardware profile. Adding a rom change to a pre-FW800 computer will still not allow FW800 to be enabled because the hardware is incapable of supporting FW800. the same will be true of any hardware improvements that Apple incorporates in their new product lines in the future.

?The same is true for OS compatibility. Since Apple is ending OS9 support for new machines they will be discontinuing upgrades to OS9 to operate the hardware on new computers. So while you may be able to get OS9 to run after a fashion on a non-supported new Mac you can count on some features not working.

?An example is the Mirrored Drive Door towers. With any version of OS9 that wasn't written for the MDD the ATA100 bus is inoperable. The code on the 'rom on disk' does not exist in those OS versions to operate the bus so the computer doesn't even know that bus exists.

?Can you boot an earlier version? Yes. Install that version on the ATA66 bus and fool the computer into thinking it is booting its normal OS and it will startup. But eventually the differences in new hardware will be enough to preclude functionality at all.

?But don't worry about it too much. Whichever MDD tower you get will be supported properly for a long time to come, just don't expect there to be much improvement in OS9 ever again.

Rick

Thanks again for your response, Ricks. Very helpful. I still have to get a machine with OS9 for now, but it's nice to know I can migrate to X on an as-needed basis while I wait for more and audio products and plug-ins to get their codes together.

TR,

?You are most welcome. Enjoy your new computer. Kaye bought one specifically because it would be the last OS9 capable machine, his works wonderfully. I had the opportunity to try Kaye's out for a few days and boy are they fast.

?Look forward to hearing how yours works for you, make sure you post back.

Rick

It better