Thread: Getting started with video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Gurus,

I've got an old 8600. Back in the day when I bought it, I intended to do some video editing with it. If I recall correctly, its got special ports for video input and output. Know anything about that? Do I need to get special software (will iMovie work on my machine?) or hardware to read video onto my hard disk, manipulate it and assemble a video for output to a CD? I know I'll need a CD-W drive. I've got a video camera with the red, yellow, and white cables that should plug into the mac.

I used to know this stuff but its been awhile since I used Adobe Premiere back in 1995.

Cheers,
    Jon

If this is a stock 8600, you will need some upgrades in order to work with any real video editing. As for software Imovie is pretty decent but only runs in osX. FinalCut Pro is another editing software but quite pricey.

Thanks for your response!

Yes, it's a stock 8600. I've added a 2 GB external drive and a Miles Blue Note card (a la Gurus), a Sonnet Crescendo G3 card and have 224 MB of RAM. Will any of that help?

Yes your current upgrades should help. But like tm311 said you need OS X for iMovie and you will/could have problems getting the 8600 to run OS X. FCP as tm311 is pricey and I am unfamilar with it.

You need more RAM - in the range of 512MB
    A bigger better HD for the Blue Note
    AND what MHz is the Sonnet G3

Randy

Didn't some of the original versions of iMovie run in OS9?

kj

The Sonnet card is 400MHz/512.

Sorry, I goofed on the HD specs. It's a 8.55GB Barracuda that I've connected to the Blue Note as my startup disk.