Thread: Getting started with video

Hi Gurus,

I've got an old 8600. Back in the day when I bought it, I intended to do some video editing with it. If I recall correctly, its got special ports for video input and output. Know anything about that? Do I need to get special software (will iMovie work on my machine?) or hardware to read video onto my hard disk, manipulate it and assemble a video for output to a CD? I know I'll need a CD-W drive. I've got a video camera with the red, yellow, and white cables that should plug into the mac.

I used to know this stuff but its been awhile since I used Adobe Premiere back in 1995.

Cheers,
    Jon

If this is a stock 8600, you will need some upgrades in order to work with any real video editing. As for software Imovie is pretty decent but only runs in osX. FinalCut Pro is another editing software but quite pricey.

Thanks for your response!

Yes, it's a stock 8600. I've added a 2 GB external drive and a Miles Blue Note card (a la Gurus), a Sonnet Crescendo G3 card and have 224 MB of RAM. Will any of that help?

Yes your current upgrades should help. But like tm311 said you need OS X for iMovie and you will/could have problems getting the 8600 to run OS X. FCP as tm311 is pricey and I am unfamilar with it.

You need more RAM - in the range of 512MB
    A bigger better HD for the Blue Note
    AND what MHz is the Sonnet G3

Randy

Didn't some of the original versions of iMovie run in OS9?

kj

The Sonnet card is 400MHz/512.

Sorry, I goofed on the HD specs. It's a 8.55GB Barracuda that I've connected to the Blue Note as my startup disk.

Good you have a decent drive connected to a good card the Blue Note. This gives you much better reads/writes about 3-4 times the stock if I recall. Unless your going to need more storage space for video work. I believe the Blue Note has another chsnnel for a drive if needed. Some like to have a small 1-2-3 GB "scratch partition" to download and/or work in then erase it so your working with a clean drive - no choppyness.

I just don't know video well enough to comment on the 400MHz as if it is fast enough. I think your border line but workable - my guess. Also what program are you planning to use? I thought iMovie was OS X only I very well could be wrong.

More RAM still would be most helpful.

Read through and Search the "For Videophiles Only" forum for "8600" or other key words and look at the topic headings I think many of your questiond might be answered... I will give a look too and post some threads/posts.

Someone with Video experience needs to bounce in here... you have tapped my limited brain of it's video knowledge.

Good luck
    Randy

I have iMovie for OS9. Apple apparently does not offer it anymore but minimum requirements:

OS9.1
    G3-300
    FireWire port
    At least 128MB RAM
    CD or DVD drive
    monitor that supports 800x600 (1024x768 recommended)

Last version I think is 2.1.1 (came out in late 2001) and works as well as the latest OSX version. I've tried both. k

Wow! Sounds like there's hope for me yet. Thanks so much for the responses.

I don't believe I have a firewire port, though. I can probably get a card for that though, eh?

Are the red/white/yellow audio/video ports on my machine unusable then?

I'll go on the lookout for OS9 iMovie. Available at Apple, right?

There is a combo card people have been happy with on the forums here a USB/Firewire/and something else - another USB I think. I'll run across it and post it here for you. I don't know if or how compatible it is with the 8500. Looks like things will work.

I did not see iMovie for OS 9.1 right away at Apple but... Look here eBay might be selling off older software... it should be "free" from Apple

Good luck
    Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 22 November 2002).]

My G4-800DP has v2.1.1 of iMovie for OS9.1 or later. My new G4-1.25G DP has v2.1.2. I'm a newbie at this but it appears that iMovie needs a FireWire port for importing from a digital camcorder with a FW port (I don't have a digital camcorder) or for importing from some other source such as a VCR. With a VCR, you need to input the VCR analog output to an analog to digital converter. The converter has a FW port which you connect to the Mac FW port. It looks to me that iMovie only recognizes FW input, whether camera or converter. The converter or digital camcorder and iMovie work in both directions. Or you can save to DVD or with Toast to VCD I believe. k

Thanks,
    I'll browse around for the iMovie version compatible with OS9.1.

cheers,
    Jon

Hi again,

I've been at Mac World this week and am having a hard time coaxing my tongue back into my mouth. Feeling a bit more energized, I purchased some more RAM (480 MB total now).

I've also browsed the XLR8yourmac page and other pages here since my last post. I would like to place a CD-RW in the drive bay of my 8600/200 that used to have a Zip drive and connect it with a PCI card that will give me an IDE connection and possibly also a firewire port. When speaking with Sonnet reps at the show they suggested a Tempo Ulra ATA133. But does that have a firewire port?

Will one of the Plextor drives the Gurus sell work for me? Will I be able to boot from it? I noticed you sell bezels also, can I get one that would work with the new CD-RW?

Will Toast-5 work on my old machine?

Happy New Year,
    Jon

8600/200 - OS 9.1 - 481 MB RAM
    Sonnet Crescendo G3/400mhz
    Initio Miles Blue Note & Seagate 9.1 GB HD
    Seagate 2GB (boot drive on original SCSI cable)
    ATY XCLAIM3D video card

How do I get to the Gurus product sales pages from here to find this stuff?