Thread: Screen captures won't work

I can't seem to get Shift+Apple+4 to initiate the crosshairs so I can get a capture. It opens my Download Manager though =). Anyone know why this won't work all the sudden? None of the capture commands work. I'm using Jag 10.2.2 on a 466mhz G4. Thanks!

Jason

I think you need to have the caps lock engaged for that to work. At least that's how it works on 9.

Do you have this all the time? any 3rd party haxie or a program that would be picking up your command + shift + 4? works fine for me using 10.2.2 on B&W....

Jaguar has a MUCH cooler screen capture app than using the short cut command, and the image opens in "Preview", and can scroll enlarge...and a whole bunch more, maybe when i finsih this coffee I can remember how it works

It's called Grab... check under either Applications or Applications/Utilities

Similar to SnapShot on SGI's...

Chris

Hmm... that grab is cool, but I don't want my images as .tiff's. Prior to Jag, I use a utility called Orange Pref's. It allows me to save my Screen Captures as Jpg's. Maybe that util is preventing screen capture to work?

J

You could always run the TIFFs through Graphic Converter to make them JPGs...

Chris

Kind of a hack, but you could import the Tiff into iphoto, and export a Jpeg...plus have the coolest library of screenshots in town.

As I recall, Preview will export a Tiff as a Jpeg as well, if you don't have Graphic Converter.

I used Grab for a bit in OS 10.1.5 and I recall it had a dozen or so formats that you could choose from in prefs (.gif and .jpg were most practical for scribbling edits on in .psd for programmers) ...had to delete it to get Mac's screen capture back.

...can't speak for 10.1.5 anymore but you've got 3 options in OS 10.2:

(1) Ctrl-Shift-3 = entire screen
    (2) Ctrl-Shift-4 = crosshairs
    (3) Crtl-Shift-4-spacebar = camera icon. drag around screen and it will highlight items. Will capture .pdf of highlighted window only -- no more steady hand to grab the edges of windows. Cool.