Thread: Are PC Monitors Compatible w G4?

I'm looking for a low cost 19" - 21" monitor solution for a G4 800 QS w/Radeon 7500 video card. Are most PC monitors compatible or should I look only at multi-sync type monitors? For future reference are all/most TFT monitors with DVI compatible with the powermac? Thanks.

Should be no problem at all...

Worst case, you end up with an analog adapter for VGA from the DVI... otherwise, the DVI would be fine if your monitor runs it...

I'm using everything from Sony - NEC - Hitachi - Dell-brand - Samsung LCD on my Macs (from G4 Digital Audio to QuickSilvers to Yikes boxes using the stock video or aftermarket Radeon's)...

Chris

There always seem to be a few 'gottchas' out there with say OS X and dual-headed video or the 19" LCD ViewSonic was mentioned recently by someone on MacINTouch, but basically, anything should work fine and the prices and options out there are great.

Tom's Hardware reviews LCD and 19" units, CNN had a "Top 10 19" CRTs" in the last year. I just find anything less than 19" is too small for Jaguar and a 22" ViewSonic $665 P225f looks great (have the G90f now), paid $309 for that and now sells for $265-ish. Remember when a 15" Sony was $350 only 5 yrs ago and I cringe - I keep upgrading as prices come down.

Gregory

Yup... there are 17" Samsung LCD's here going for $800 (CDN)...

As for OS X and video - well - I've run into that one - OS X 10.2.x and dual monitors off of a combination of nVidia + ATI cards - I have run into intermittant kernel panics on boot but I figured out a fix - if it stalls on boot and you have a PCI ATI card (with the stock nVidia in the AGP port) shut down and pull the ATI card, reboot, shutdown, put the card back in but no monitor, reboot, shut down and now connect up the second monitor. Should be fine now... - a bit of a pain but resolvable...

Chris