Thread: IE 5 question!!

For some reason, I'm unable to "stream" newsclips from www.msnbc.com using IE 5.3 I think. I was wondering if it's possible. A box pop's up and tells me that I'm missing some kind of plug-in, but I have no idea where to find it, put it, etc.

It's irritating to me that just because I use a Mac, I'm unable to see news footage. I can view clips all day long on my work PC, but not on my Mac's at home.

As you will see, the clips do not "download" to your computer for viewing. They are streamed within the browser window. That's the way it is on my work PC anyway. This is one of the few things that I can't do on my Mac since I "switched" and it's driving me nuts! Thanks!

Jason

How do JPop,

You need to download and install the "Windows Media Player for Macintosh". You can find it here I believe:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...ediaplayer.asp

If that doesn't do the trick, you can find your way there using the url prefix
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac

Download it and install it, and after that it should work. The install includes the IE Plug Ins.

Best wishes,

8's

Crazy Eights... I have it installed!! Did you go to www.msnbc.com and try to do it for yourself? And a clip played?? Man.. I need to do a total reinstall anyway because i'm having other weird software issues anyway. Let me know though if you have actually TRIED it. THanks!

Jason

I have a QS 733 - using IE 5.2.2 and Windows Media player ver. 7.1.3 player running OS 10.1.5 and it works fine. Also, I have a 7500 G3 - using IE 5.2.2 and Windows Media player ver. 7.1.2 player running OS 9.1 and it works fine.

Check the "Windows Media player folder" and see if there are plug-ins in there "they looks like puzzle pieces" if so put them into the IE plug-in's file folder. Seems like I had to do it by hand. Just not sure which time or machine.

I watch sports clips and streams all the time - some news and other but it works fine for me. Seems it took me a bit the first time - I was missing something simple but just don't remember.

Randy

Windows Media Player for Macintosh worked fine for me at msnbc. I'm running IE 5.1.3 in OS9.2.2. k

Thanks everyone. Now that I know it SHOULD work, I can rest easy. I'll take a look at that plug-in folder. But I'm reinstalling my OS prolly this weekend. So, I'll deal w/ it then.

Jason

Yep, worked fine for me right after an install. I ran a video file at MSNBC as well.

IF you decide to reinstall WMP, do a Sherlock search for all versions and just trash em, then do the down load and Install.

It should work right "out of the box"..........