Thread: Don't laugh at me: I need MP3 help!

Now look: Don't laugh, don't throw stones, and please don't call me a friggin' douche-bag for being so far behind the times....but....

I would like to learn how to get MP3's from the internet and record them on to CD's with my burner. I have NEVER downloaded an MP3 file - I have no idea where to begin, what software I need, how to find the tunes...I'm not helpless, but close! Hey, I'm just trying to catch up with the 1990's!!!!

Many of you (perhaps) have already helped me in other forum topics while I replaced my hard drive and CD-ROM, added an XLR8 accelerator, chose a great FireWire CD-RW, built a home DSL network, etc. I thank you all so very much - I love my ol' 7300 - all of your advice has me running what I think (IMHO) is a fantastic machine (stable, fast, dependable day in, day out!)

But can someone please help this aging ol' trombone player get his MP3 groove on?

Tom

Well, you're trying to catch up with the '90s, so you may not be running OSX, but if you are, go to www.versiontracker.com, and look for an application called Sputnix. This is a Napster-like client which allows you to receive mp3s from the AudioGalaxy network.

Once you have Sputnix setup and connected, point a browser to www.audiogalaxy.com, and go wild!

There are also LimeWire, mdonkey, and others which connect to various networks.

After you've exhausted versiontracker's resources, check www.download.com, under the Mac mp3 section.

Someone else will be along with options for OS9, but they are not as varied as OSX.

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 05 June 2002).]

Ah, yes - I should have pointed out I am using 9.1 on my 7300.

Are there decent (if not plentiful) MP3 choices for 9.1?

Tom

In case you are still looking... I use limewire on my OS 9.1 - 7500 XLR8 G3 400, Miles card + 10k Cheetah, Voodoo 3/3000. Works fine.

Slow - sometimes. Try here http://download.com.com/2001-2003-0.html?tag=stbc.gp

it's the cnet.com site for mac download.

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 05 June 2002).]

quote:
    Now look: Don't laugh, don't throw stones, and please don't call me a friggin' douche-bag for being so far behind the times....but....

LMAO!

Thomas:

iTunes will handle all your playing/ converting and will run fine on your 7300. It's a very cool app and it's free!

Unfortunately you can't burn from iTunes on your 7300 so you'll need Toast to handle that.

Here's a couple of sites that let you download stuff for free:

http://www.earbuzz.com/

http://www.nowhereradio.com/

They're both indie sites (lots of new/unknown artists) but there's some cool stuff in there if you look around a bit.

Get LimeWire from download.com. It's free, and it's fast enough for free.
    I run it on 8.6 had have had great success.

Cool - good info from everyone.

I download/installed LimeWire, and did a successful search, download, etc.

On my Mac, which is one of two computers in my house on my DSL network (I hooked me and my upstairs neighbor up to share DSL only...no file sharing). I have all file sharing turned off on my Mac (at least I think I do). What can I do in LimeWire to prevent access to my folders/computer?

Reading the other post on MP3 software/security issues has me a bit nervous. My DSL modem and portal is always turned on, though we both turn off our computers whenever we are not using them. The only time I ever turn off the portal and modem is when both of us are gone for the weekend, etc. Otherwise, leaving the portal and modem turned on is more convenient for the both of us

I have Norton Personal Firewall installed on both computers, as well. I should be secure, right? Though to be honest, when I check the access history, it has only listed access attempts one or two times in several months. It makes me wonder if it is fact working....?

Anyway, I would love some advice on how to be safe when using LimeWire. What other options for turning off folder sharing should I be aware of?

Tom

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 07 June 2002).]