Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mac OS X

VueScanX huh, great. Thanks for the tip. I been hunting for a solution. Agfa does such a poor job on their website that figuring out their driver situation was too frustrating to complete. Glad to hear at least one vendor is on the ball at least with their drivers. Cannon and Epson are under the ball.

Rick

A note on the scanner thing. I am currently using the Agfa scanner driver/software package in OSX on a PPC 9500. The scanner I am using is an Agfa SnapScan 1212u, USB version. According to the Agfa website, the driver/software will no longer be updated as Agfa has exited the scanner business. Anyhooooo, it works just fine and the download is free.

MAC OS X has given me a whole new appreciation for IBM clones. I'm a veteran Mac user; been one since the beginning.

I hate OS X like a tumor. I give up. Blood pressure at a dangerous level.

Wanna buy a dented G4-?

Hang in there BuZzy. I know it can be a difficult transition...especially dealing with a system that doesn't let you do whatever you want without various end runs around the ownership issue, learning the new file system etc...
    But oh the gains-
    Just the multi-threading alone is worth the price of admission. To be able to work while other stuff is going on in the background has saved me a lot of time already. There was nothing worse than FBC indexing in 9: always incredibly slow and in the way. Sherlock in X is the way its supposed to be- indexes itself in rapid fashion in the background. Exploder is very fast and stable now. Mail is real good, and with hopefully the remaining bugs worked out in Jaguar will almost make it unnecessary to purchase or use another email client.. Preview, iPhoto, iTunes,TextEdit..I could go on and on. One almost doesn't have to buy any software for normal day to day tasks. I feel like I'm really getting my $'s worth.

The stability in X is such a relief. There was nothing worse than working away in 9 and getting some freeze out of the blue necessitating a hard restart. I don't know about anybody else, but I had a least one hard freeze a week in 9- despite my best efforts at regular and thorough maintenance and troubleshooting with all the best utilities. Maybe I had extension conflicts never resolved- I don't know, I could never make Conflict Catcher work for me...
    And the memory management. I just open all my apps and leave 'em open and hide 'em. That way any of 'em are instantly available with a cmd tab or shift-tab-cmd. No more of that strategizing which ones' to open when, how much to allocate, quitting 'em in the right order, etc.
    Now, none of that nonsense.

On the other hand, I have true sympathy for those who must still work in 9 or Classic, for their livelihood. Some of that setup is very complicated and a real challenge to get the crossover working right: printers that'll only work in Classic, Quark, scanning software, etc...

George

[This message has been edited by gmidd (edited 17 May 2002).]

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I played with X from the public beta all the way to 10.0.4 and never adopted it as my main OS because they were slow and bad

Then 10.1 came along and there was no turning back for me! I am looking forward to 10.2!

BuZzy...you wouldn't happen to be MaXximo in the Apple forums would you?

------------------
    Damien,
    http://www.macmeisters.com/Damien/

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 17 May 2002).]

"MaxXimo"-? Not I.

However, I am at maxximo frustration level. I just got OSX dumped in my lap after a decade of sleek, functional Mac biz-niss, unencumbered by silly icons, pulsating lozenges and folders that go ZOOP! and shrink into the dock.

Gone is my reliable old netscape Communicator 4.6. Now, it's Gates' satanic browser, and the speed is so stunningly slow it's no better than my old Macintosh IIx with AOL. (Whare's the big G4 speed-?).

Swear t' God, my 8500 simply BLAZES compared to this cow. Have I done something wrong-? Where's the speed knob-? Macs are supposed to be easy and intuitive.

Screw it. I'm learning blacksmithing.

BuZzY

BuZ,

This has got me laughing my butt off, (if I lose any weight I'll let you know)

Have some patience though, give 10 a hard look when 10.2 comes out. Freaky, sleaky little gui stuff is what sells OS's unfortunately and we all got caught up in the Steve Jobs love of animated icons. (lots of stories going around about how if you want to impress Jobs just throw a couple animations into your app, probably not quite that easy but it gets the point across that Jobs is intensely interested in OSX being "busy" (is that the word?))

The other side of the OSX coin is that OSX is a MAINFRAME OS. We are only now getting to the point that our desktops are capable of running something like X. The benefits and rewards are well worth the hassles. Just the difference that comes from protected active memory management make it worth it switching away from that horrible no-management OS9. OS9 was fast, but OS9 would never be safe, with your data anyway.

Everything I have read, and I try to read everything I can find on the subject, says 10.2 will cut out the 'spinning wheel of boredom' from our lives. Apple has already made disk I/O much faster and cleaner in OSX, now the biggest hurdle is accelerated graphics, and that will be totally different in 10.2. Look forward to it, it will be awesome.

And if you go back to the Dark Side just think of all the foo-fo-ra you will cause as all your brain damaged PC using friends say "See, we told you so, life is so much better when Gates gets to make all your decisions"

BTW, the first thing I did when I went X was kick my computer, uh no, I went and first downloaded Netscape 6.2, which I hated, now I use OmniWeb, which isn't all that good yet but will be. OmniWeb at least lets me be 100% totally MicroShaft free on my computer. Yeah.

There are several, if not a whole bunch of alternatives to using Exploder, just make sure you dump all the default browser prefs so Exploder doesn't load by itself and you'll be free.

If you do go back to .......micro....soft..uhg, make sure you line up a good therapist.

Rick