Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X

I have just purchased a new G4 1Ghz Dual.
    It of course has OS X... I am lost in OS X. I have been a Mac user since the days of the 128.
    I have a Dual 500 and a G3 on my ethernet network working through a Linksys Hub. My wife uses the dual 1ghz for her photo shop and I am using Mac Office X.

I noticed many books in the book store on OS X. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good title to buy. Most of the larger books are in the $40.00 range.

I do not think much of the manuals I received with the computer. They are to basic, Apple System profiler was so cool on 9.1 and now I do not even know how to access a part of my computer to tell me about the configuration.

Also I am wondering what to do about upgrading my Norton products.... Do I still need Utilities and well as anti virus? Also I have always used Conflict Catcher. Is this still a product that will be useful?

I wonder if anyone has feelings about running OS X and 9.2 side by side. Should the 9.2 be stripped down to a smaller size, or left as it is?

Fred

[This message has been edited by alahag (edited 16 April 2002).]

Hi

OS X is quite cool - most of the info can be found using the built-in help. But there are a number of books out there - There's the Hidden Mac OS X Bible by David Pogue.. .just poke around and you'll find a fair bit of info on your actual system install. For example, go to System Preferences to see your control panel info.

Apple System Profiler can be found in the Applications / Utilities folder.. If you want to use it often, you can simply drag the application to the Dock.

It's quite intuitive... The problem is that the more experienced you are with the pre-OS X, the harder it can be to switch up. If you are new to the Mac, then OS X might seem quite simple. (at least that's what I think - my students have picked up OS X quite quickly)

There are a number of sites on the net that may help (http://osx.macnn.com) and some of the back issues of MacWorld have good summary sections.

HTH

Chris

BTW - I have 9.2.2 running on my OS X machines and it's quite happy although on occasion, my OS X restart gets bogged down when it can't close the Classic Environment. I can force-Quit it and then all is well - I haven't rebooted my OS X machines in weeks now - at least due to any problems with the computer - reboots have been due to software updates that required restarts...

If you're used to Unix at all, then the Terminal app can bring back good (or bad) memories - it's funny how quickly that stuff I learned back in 1st year engineering comes back...

Chris

The best way to quit Classic is via the Preferences Folder. There is a Classic Control Panel at the bottom of the window that will allow you to Quit Classic. This is the best method and won't corrupt anything that Classic has open at the time.

Rick

Hi Ricks

I've used both approaches - the problem is that the only thing running in Classic, is in fact Classic. It's funny - it seems to come and go and in one case, seemed to be tied to something I installed in 9.2.2... I just wish that all of our scientific software was OS X native and didn't require Classic.. time will help this out...

I do like OS X though - good incentive to replace my Lombard...in favour of a TiBook...

Chris

Of course you must replace the Lombard, a TiBook will make your commute shorter, your students learn faster, and your wife and kids happier.

I have always detested running classic. If you have to do it put Classic on it's own minimum partition as just the resources needed. That way OSX doesn't screw up the system folder that you have to have for OS9 work.

Just what's worked for me, I distrust all the weird things that have happened when I tried Classic in OSX. I am almost, just barely not there yet, running OSX only, I love it. It's only going to get better and better.

My 2 pennies worth, well, maybe not that much.

A good day to you guys.

Rick

There is a great shareware utility, appropriately named Classic? that places an icon in your Dock showing if Classic is running or not and allowing you to quickly and easily start and stop Classic mode.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have been to the book store and picked up Mac OS X "The Missing Manual". They only wanted 25.00 for it. So far I am very pleased with ti and it is also written by David Pogue.

I like the idea of either a separation of the Classic system, or the Icon on the Dock. I am going to look in to these options.

Thanks again for the help
    Fred

I am never sure when to start a new topic and when to add. but here goes. I am now getting ready to load Sys X on my Dual 500. It currently has 9.1 on it and the Drive is NOT partitioned. I see from my reading that one can put 9 in a separate partition. The question is HOW big should I make it?

If 9 is in a separate partition, can I still run in the Classic Mode?

Can I keep the programs that run in 9.1 on the disc with OS X or should they be resident on the partition with 9.1?

My KEY program is Microsoft Office for which I now have the OS X version. The 9.1 programs I have are things like Adobe Premier LE and some miscellaneous games and utility programs like Freeway for making web sites. (Maybe there are new tools in OS X that will do this type of thing).

I currently own Norton Anti Virus. Is this a program that should be on my system to protect from viruses. If so do I need to upgrade to a newer version designed for X ?
    Also would it also protect the 9.1 portion of the system as well? Oh yes I have Norton Utilities as well, is there a need for a Sys X version of this? If not then should I have the 9.1 version loaded on to help with finding problems with that portion of my system?

Would you advise loading Conflict Catcher to help with monitoring the extensions on the 9.2 version of the OS on the new machine, or is this now obsolete?

One last thing I am having trouble finding out. I am trying to move my outlook express 5.0 into the new System X Entorage. I have managed to move my email addresses and my bookmarks, but I cannot seem to get my old mail to move. I save a lot of my old mail for reference purposes. Does anyone know which files I need and how to get them on to the new computer from my G3.

Fred

[This message has been edited by alahag (edited 19 April 2002).]

If you want some help crossing over to OSX from OS9 or 8.6, take a look at this tidbits article about utilities that restore some neat OS9 funtions to OSX http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06763
    Also, when I was first getting used to OSX, I partitioned my drive so that I could have a OS9 only drive and a drive with OSX and OS so that I could give the classic mode a try. I found i hardly used classic, instead I would restart in the OS9 partition. There is a neat way to do this, hold down the option key while starting the machine and you will get a choice of which system you want to start with, so long as they are on separate partitions.
    I do not use any virus software at all and have never found the need. As far as utilities for OSX, you can probably get by using your OS9 programs by running them from the OS9 partition, another reason to go that route, the Disk Warrior web site even recommends this approach in order to sue their program on an OSX machine, guess they haven't gotten around to porting over to OSX.
    Can't help with the Entourage question, have you tried Microsoft's web support? I use the Mail program that is included with OSX and find it really very good.

Wow, I gotta say, bif said exactly what I would have said.

I take the Classic thing a little farther. In the early days of fooling with OSX I had tons of issues with what OSX will do to my main operating OS9 system folder if I allowed OSX to startup Classic using that OS9 folder for resources. (whew, I gotta learn how to shorten up my sentences)

The very best way to handle this is to have a separate partition, or even put it on your OSX partition, for Classic resources. You can indicate that you want Classic to load from anywhere you choose. Just don't let it choose your regular OS9 system folder.

Now I absolutely never let Classic load. If I actually need OS9, like bif I just boot into OS9.

AS I am writing this the likelyhood I will need OS9 just went way down, PHOTOSHOP 7 just got delivered by Airborne, YEAH!!!

BTW, the best book I have read yet on OSX is David Pogue's Missing Manual. It's great. I have looked over/read 5 others and his is the fastest and clearest read.

I also don't own any virus checkers. I own virtually all the Disk Utilities and a bunch if RAID utilities, TechToolPro which I seldom use. My favorite has become Disk Warrior. It will repair/protect a OSX drive you just have to boot from it or a OS9 partition. All your utilities will still work while you are in OS9 and most of the utilities will partially work from Classic. I say that because some utilities will NOT do there thing to OSX volumes structures or from within OSX, they may have problems running in Classic.

I am almost completely OSX now, especially with Photoshop here at last. YOu should plan to dump OS9, it's a dead end. History.

MAIL: You can, from the menu bar in Mail App, pull down a Import Mailboxes. That will import and add to your OSX files any of your mail from OS9. At least from Netscape.

Have fun, OSX is the brave new world.

Rick

Thanks for the help. I notice that nobody mentioned a size for the partition that I set up for OS 9. The Hard Drive on my dual 500 is 40GB.

What would you recommend I allocate for OS9?

Thanks for the link to Tidbits Bif I have bookmarked this and will look at these later. Some of them may be useful.

I have never used Disc Warrior? I will look in to this tool. In the interim I will continue to use the Nortion Utilities I guess.

Fred

Fred,

That's hard to answer. Don't make it too much bigger than what you already neet it to be for your current files. If you go OSX you will soon be not storing or using OS9, if you run out of space you can always store on the other partition.

Once bit by the X bug, OS9 will go by the by, keep OS9 at minimums.
    (However the heck we figure out what the minimum is I don't know)

Rick

Thanks... Pogue suggested 2GB in his missing manual, so I think maybe I will go with 4GB unless you think I am making it to small. This should give me room for Norton Utilities. I will store most of my programs and data on the partition with OS X . The BIG question is will that give enough room to run the other programs on OS 9. It seems to me that they mostly run in Ram and I should be OK.

Our copy of Adobe 7.0 also arrived and I just loaded in on Beth's machine. I have still not been able to get our 2450 scanner working on the new G4. I am not sure if it is a System X problem or what. The computer does not seem to recognize the Scanner Bus. I am using the firewire connection, but that worked fine on 9.0.1. I am not sure what the problem is. I am going to need to call Epson on Monday to see what I am doing wrong.

Have you had any trouble with getting your scanner to work on System X?

Fred

One of my pet peeves, there is not a single scanner driver written for OSX yet. THe only way to scan is via OS9 or Classic.

They sell us the stuff but then take forever to support it. I would guess that you'll see drivers with Epson fairly quickly. I looked on the site last night and they say they are hard at it, drivers that is.

If you do a 4 gig partition that will be plenty for most of your applications. When you open an application it opens by loading it to ram, don't worry about space as long as you can fit your apps the data can go in your documents folder on OSX if you run out. I ran 4 gig of OS9 space it seems like forever.

Using iPhoto will really make your day keeping track of your photos. Just open a new file on the upper right and you can store a new set in a different folder. Wonderful easy system once you get used to it.

The MISSING MANUAL IS GREAT! Best written manual around. If Pogue says it, you can take it to the bank. There may be other ways to do things but his way will work.

Have a great time, sure am glad to see you getting in the middle of it.

Rick

I like to keep the OS X volume only for what Apple or what will only allow itself to be on the startup volume. Only because I want to be able to backup easily to another drive, to put OS X on a 2.4G image file.

If you need to use OS 9.2.2, have it on its own volume. The one for Classic can be on its own or share the OS X volume but should have only the most essential, minimal extensions - it loads and quits faster, runs better. It can even run better than as a "regular" OS 9.2.2 would at some things.

Some day I'm sure Mail.app will have more useful features, for now, using Outlook or Entourage under Classic works fine 99% time.

Using OS X Disk Utility I sometimes can't set a minimum partition below 1.2GB or so - 2GB is a good minimum. It needs room for moving files around during the installs, you'll want the Dev Tools possibly (400MB) and to keep it to 50% used very likely for best performance. It is possible to trim OS X down to around 1.2 GB.

It is very RAM hungry. Using Classic puts even more burden on memory. Apple may not want to 'scare' users but 512MB is probably a good number. Using the Terminal, "top -ad" will show active processes, total VM paging and other stats. My favorite book is "Mac OS X Unleashed" and I'm waiting for more.

Gregory

Thanks Gregory...
    I have the new OSX Office program and with entrouge. Do you have any idea how I can move my saved mail in Outlook 5.2 into the new OS X version of entourage?

I cannnot seem to find out how to do it. Entourage says import, but it does not seem to recognize the file.

Fred

Now, I do use Classic in OS X. I don't use my normal OS 9 System Folder for it though. I have a separate OS 9.2.x installed with OS X on its partition. I never boot this System directly. It is setup exclusively for use as Classic. This way I never worry about OS X screwing up my OS 9 or accidentally installing something that's not compatible with Classic mode.

while i have not used it yet, i believe that agfa has an osX scanner driver.

VueScanX is what I use for scanning and has worked great. Well worth $40. Output from my Astra 6400 (fw) is stunning. And fast.