Thread: pci modem - mac compatible?

I have a PowerPC 6500/225, with 2 empty PCI slots. It also has an internal 33.3 modem. I want to 'upgrade' to a 56K modem. I see PCI 56 K modems for sale, but all I've found seem limited to Windows drivers. Do any PCI 56K modems have mac drivers? Will this even work on my system? If not, how else can I upgrade the modem with no USB or Serial ports on this mac?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    -Brandon

Brandon,

Sorry, but I posted the wrong modem for your machine. I will update tomorrow on PCI. Not sure if one is available, but here is a Mac external by US Robotics http://www.usrobotics.com/products/h...?sku=005689-03

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 06 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 07 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 07 March 2002).]

Okay no serial ports or USB...there are ways around this. I think you should explore USB. YOU can add a 2 port PCI USB card, such as SIIG or Belkin and then add a USB modem. Once you add the USB, there are USB to serial adapters where you could add an external modem if you desire. At least you do have options.

There are no internal PCI modems for the Mac available at this time. All your options will be for an external modem. Best wishes.

Thanks, Angela, for your reply. In this scenario, would you recommend just getting a USB external modem to go into the newely created PCI to USB slot, or would a serial modem (with USB to serial adapter) be cheaper/better?
    Thanks,
    -Brandon

PCI modems are normally software based - or 'Win' modem based. This would be a bad solution for your system, as the old 225Mhz603ev CPU is attempting to run the OS, applications and the 'data pump' of the slacker modem.

I think you might be able to get a COMM slot (COMMII) modem for that Mac. My C600 Umax has a COMMII slot (modified PCI) and has a 10/100baseT network card installed. I think these are software based to. Your best solution would be a serial port Mac modem.

6500/225Mhz

Guru 2.9 lists this system as having a 'GEOPORT' for both modem & printer.

------------------
    The Cost Of Freedom:
    Every bit of energy.
    Every ounce of courage.
    Every drop of blood.

The problem is no serial ports. The only way I know is to go the USB route. Let me consult to get some more info for you. I will post an update.

Brandon,

I have been waiting for a response about your modem questions and have not gotten a response yet. I tend to agree with dragon_x that you should go the serial modem route. I looked at this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2006246659 with pictures of the 6500 since I am not familiar with your computer. I believe that your Mac should have 2 serial ports, in the picture it shows, one printer, the other modem port. They are round on the left hand side of the back of the computer. Look for the telephone icon. This is where you will attach the 56k external modem. This will be the cheapest route, especially since the computer has serial ports. I called a several Mac resellers and they indicated that all the 6500s shipped with serial ports. So try again to locate them. Let us know.

Hope you are still hanging in there. I finally got a response from a reliable source. This is what he said:
    "Yes they have a serial port. I'm not sure but
    > I think I read somewhere that
    > because there is an internal modem the modem
    > port isn't functional. You'll
    > have to do some research on that though. It's
    > my understanding that if you
    > wan to use a different modem you have to either
    > find the mega expensive 56k
    > that they and the beige G3 came with or you
    > have to remove it and use the
    > printer port. I may be confusing this
    > information with the 6400 so do some
    > homework and let me know. I thought all the
    > 6500's had 56k modems, is this
    > a 300MHz? The 6400's were beasts, they were
    > basically Performers with
    > problems. The 6500 was much better. The
    > easiest way is to just replace the
    > original modem with the newer 56k internal
    > unit. I've seen them on ebay for
    > about 100.00 which is probably the same or less
    > than all the equipment you'd
    > need to accomplish the same thing. Buying brand
    > new is pretty expensive.

My response:

Your information is right. The 6500 can take the Apple Geoport or Global VillageTeleport internal 56k modems. These work in the G3s all well as your computer. Here is info about the updaters http://macsupport.about.com/library/...powermac+modem Both will be hard to locate. Global Village does not support v90 and k56flex protocols at the same time. If you want to go the external route then the Geoport modem has to be uninstalled so that the serial modem port can be used. They suggest plugging up the slot if modem is removed. This link was helpful http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/6500.shtml. I found Geport info on this link http://homepage.mac.com/zone6400/geo...internal_modem

******DO NOT GET THIS ONE *********GV internal 56k modem http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2008055218 This is for the B/W only. You have to look for the comm slot. Couldnt find a pick on ebay. Shrevesystems sells it for a ridiculous price of $199.

I agree with you that it is easier to just get a replacement internal modem if you can find one. Either way you have to go into to the case to either replace or plug up the comm slot to this is a hassle especially if you are not into tinkering or dealing with anything that involves opening up the case. But sooner or later you have to open it up anyway for dusting, adding memory, etc. Its not complicated. I have seen some new modems that were around 40-75 dollars. These include Zoom, Diamond, and USRobotics. I think either way should work. Some people dont like stuff hanging outside of the computer so the internal route is cool. Depending on how much you want to spend is another factor. I think we both agree removing the old modem and going external will be cheaper.

I hope this helps you Brandon. Personally, I would go with an external modem, but you did indicate an interest in an internal option. So check out the auction I mentioned and think about it. Maybe you can look around for the Apple internal 56k modem. Here is some info on it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2006833828 (Note: The Apple internal for Beige G3 not Blue and White G3).

Read as much as you can on the AppleZone link mentioned above. It has some interesting information to help you make a decision and also help troubleshoot.

P.S. Here is where you can get the comm slot plug http://www2.sunrem.com/sun02.w?pt=92...&catcode=14440 You might be able to find a better price. Check ebay or Shrevesytems.com.

Reference: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=18250

Best wishes. If you have any more questions, please post again.

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 09 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 09 March 2002).]

Have you resolved your modem issue? If you are interested in the Apple 56k comm slot modem that replaces the 33k modem in your computer, please post a comment. I just got word from a Mac buddy that he has one for sale.

Hi Angela et al,
    Thanks for all your replies. First, no, my "modem" (phone icon) serial port is is simply a plastic cover. That is, it doesn't exist; inside there is no port. I think some of the 6500's (25Os?) did actually have that port; but mine (225) doesn't.

I've been told that I could use the serial printer port but that would mean not having the printer hooked up....we don't like that option.

So, you're saying that I could rip out the internal 33 and put in a replacement internal 56K, and be good to go? How much for your friend's 56K internal?

Thanks again for your time.
    -Brandon

Brandon,

Hey there. I am going to send this link to my friend so that he can read the post and email you. He thinks replacing the 33k modem is your best option. Not sure how much the modem costs so you can talk price with him as well as ask him any questions. He is truly knowledgeable when it comes to Macs. His name is Matt.

--Angela

Hi Angela,
    I haven't heard from Matt. Can I give my e-mail address over this forum, or does he have to respond into this forum?
    -Brandon

Brandon,

I will let Matt know that you havent heard from him. He did email you, but maybe it didnt get to you. I will send him your email now.

Brandon,

Matt sent you a message but it was returned. I just sent you a message too, hopefully the email that you have listed on the forum is a good address. If you dont get a message from me, here is the email for Matt, icon@cox.net. Thanks.

Sorry the modem was sold. Maybe Matt will locate another one for you very soon, but here is another auction to take a peak at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2010208877

Angela,
    How do I know if a "beige g3 internal 56K modem" is compatible with my 6500/225 comm II slot? Is any "comm II" modem compatible? Thanks for your help. Does someone pay you to nicely answer questions from little people like me? : ) Anyway, its nice to finally get some intelligent feedmac about my mac. Everyone at work is PC.
    -Brandon

Brandon,

The modem is compatible. One of the links that I sent talks about the upgrade to this modem and specifcally states the beige and not the one for B/W.

Sorry I missed your reply. Did you locate a modem yet? I referred you to Matt because he is the best when it comes to Mac stuff, as well as sells computer parts on ebay. I have been consulting with him almost 3 years. He was a god send when I first got my Mac. He inspired me to learn how to work on my computer and install whatever I need to keep the old Mac running smoothly. He was able to do this purely by email, so he is truly excellent. He has also learned a lot from me too because I do a lot of research and share info with him. We exchange Mac thoughts daily. I went to him with your issue because he enjoys solving Mac tech issues as much as I do. Many of the gurus here do the same thing. Exchange of info not because we have to but because we want to help . There is no pay for this at all--purely love for Macs.... is the inspiration. So if you have any questions dont hesistate to ask.

Brandon,

Did you ever get the 56k internal modem? If not, email Matt Matt, icon@cox.net. He's got another one. Thanks.