Thread: OS X crash old systems

What exactly is the boot sequence for OS X? On a PowerMac 6500 (pre-G3): Accidently booted off OS X cd (using c key). Thought it would just spit out CD at worst. Computer died. Tried rebooting: Computer now starts and then IMMEDIATLY shuts off. Don't even get gray screen. Booting off CD, zapping PRAM not work. Green indicator light on computer never comes on, although all devices are receiving power, and continue to have power even when computer is "off." Why can't the 6500 even boot off the old OS?

The OSX CD will do some serious work on your PRAM settings, including the NVRAM (think of it as super PRAM).

You should be able to resurrect the machine by zapping the PRAM 5 times. If this fails look for a CUDA reset switch. I don't know if the 6500 as one, but there may be a MoBo diagram here on the 'Gurus site.

If this fails as well, remove the battery & power cord, let the machine sit as long as you can stomach, and try another 5 PRAM resets.

Thanks!
    A little more info: The computer does not even get far enough in the boot process to allow me to zap the PRAM! There is a reset button near the processor on the 6500. Is that the CUDA switch? I tried that too, but the computer still fails to start.

Mac OS X 10.1: How to Set up Open Firmware. Don't know if 6500 HAS OF but worth a try. When I can't boot, can't zap pram, this clears out the OF tree so I can zap pram and boot.

quote:

If you cannot access the Open Firmware Password application and need to troubleshoot your computer by:

- resetting the PRAM
    - starting up in Single-user mode
    - starting up in Verbose mode
    - starting from CD-ROM

Then follow these steps:

1. Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
    2. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram
    3. Press Return.
    4. When prompted for your password, enter it and press the Return key.
    It responds OK.
    5. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
    6. Press Return.

The computer restarts and you are now be able to reset the PRAM and startup in Single-user mode, Verbose mode, or from CD-ROM

Gregory

Thanks guys. I was able to fix it with the gool 'ole take-out-the-battery-and-let-it-sit method.