Thread: Can't find my start up hard drive

Last week I had hard drive issues. That's all been taken care of now but when I was running a routine Norton Disk Doctor session a Major Error was found but could not be fixed. Luckily I have my second drive partitioned with OS9.2 and OSx. How do I get my original hard drive back on line. It is not in the chooser, start up disk menu or on the display.

What does Apple System Profiler say? Does the drive show up there? What model computer are you running? What buses are the drives on and how is your hardware setup?

You may need to acquire a copy of Disk Warrior if you need to rescue the data that's on the lost drive if Nortons won't find and repair it.

You might also check and see if Drive Setup can mount the drive, if you can see the drive in Drive Setup and highlite it you can try the pull down command 'mount'.

Rick

The same thing happened to me a few days ago. I got my hard drive back by launching Norton's Volume Recover, then selecting "Search for missing disks" option in the menu (Disks>Search for...). I wasn't able to use Disk Warrior first, because it wouldn't show the disk. After I was able to mount the disks I ran both NDD and DW. All is well now, knock wood.

Good luck.

G4 867mhz 1.2 g of ram. drive A 40gb , drive B 70gb
    Drive A is BUS 2 ,ID 0
    So profiler sees drive A but it is unmounted. Disk Warrior and Volume Recover do not see Drive A. I can see drive A in Drive Set up but running Classic in OSX I don't see the option to mount, just the option to initalize.
    IDEAS?

Oh Yeah and for some reason my OS 9.2 on Drive B is corrupted. But it doesn't say what exactly is.

I sortof trust Norton 6.03 - but nothing earlier. Still, I always run Disk Warrior before hand, and might run Norton just to see and then back off. I learned the hard way that if Norton sees a Major error, and I haven't run DW, bad news. If I have run DW, then it is safe to go ahead.

Had much of that happen today/this week. As always backup before hand if at all possible. And make sure your backups are in order. Two, not one, you don't want to destroy a good backup and copy bad data. Or, heaven forbid, have something happen during a backup. They all have happened.

Update of the driver, reselecting in startup disk, zap nvram and pram. (not in that order though).

Gregory

Hey bobby,

A couple of other things to try comes to mind.

First would be a OpenFirmware reset. To do that you restart and hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. You will get a command line interface. And a prompt that looks like this '>'

You want to type:

> set-defaults
    Hit return, should say OK and
    > reset-all
    Hit return
    The computer will reboot itself at that point.

Another tool that uses OSX Drive Utilities File Systems Check program is to hold Command+S during startup, this will put you into the Single User Mode, another command line interface.

while in Single User Mode you will be prompted with:
    localhost #
    You will then type in:
    fsck -y Hit return. There is a space between the k and the -.

If you get "The macintosh volume appears to be OK" then you are done and no repairs were completed.

If you get "File system was modified" then you will need to run fsck again, the same way until you get a volume is OK .

Once you get the OK you will type in reboot ,hit return and you will continue the startup process where it stopped.

Only other thing that comes to mind is where your OSX system folder is. It should have it's own partition or drive separated from OS9. Also, problems can occur from OSX accessing classic, I like a separate classic partition for the classic resources and not let OSX use my regular OS9 partition and system folder for classic.

Actually I have gone one step further and NEVER allow classic to startup. I either run OSX native programs now or I boot into OS9. Always. I just have no faith in doing work in an emulator.

Hope some of this helps,

Rick

Well I only have good things to say about resource forums. Thanks.
    I did the set defaults and reset all commands and it restarted. The only way I could see drive A though was in Disk Warrior. Good enough, so I ran it through its routine and then another session of Disk Doctor. A couple of restarts later everything seems to be allright now.
    Thank you everyone

bobby,

Glad it worked. Not sure but copying the data off the drive and reinitializing might be in order. I popped a scsi controller in, and it damaged the boot blocks on all the system volumes on every drive.

Partitions use to be safe route. I beginning to favor single volume per drive but multiple drives. Some hardware + software combinations aren't talking to each other properly, the way OS X mounts/unmounts drives and volumes, inability to even verify the startup volume except thru fsck in single user mode.

Do disk utilities work flawlessly or enough to return a system to what it was, as fast, as stable, etc? or enough to backup and then do something more (once you've driven off the highway and into a rest area). for the time I spent yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong, trying quick fixes that were never good enough.

Ended up replacing the OS X system from a disk copy image of the 10.1.3 system when it was still clean state but with all the updates applied. That got my system working and stable. Today I had more time and unpartitioned 3 of 4 drives. Better use of space (18GB is feeling tight w/o RAID to form one large fast volume).

I'm sure I'll update Norton and Disk Warrior and stuff, but it only took 1/2 hour to partition and restore a full 15GB drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (requires 10.1.2, BSD subsystem, Applescript 1.8.2 update from ADC (optional) - if it doesn't run successfully, erase first).