Thread: Where's the invisible folder???

OK, this is real weird. I'm running 8.6 on a PTP/G3 350 with a Miles2 ultra SCSI w/Cheetah in 3 partitions. System, Data, Scratch (for photoshop). I have found (via sherlock) 3 photoshop temp files that are taking up half of the scratch disk. Problem is, they're in an invisible folder called "Cleanup At Startup." How in $*&^&$*%# do you delete those files????
    So confused..... I hope this is easy and I just haven't gotten it yet.
    Help please. Thanks.

This is a known issue in Photoshop. You should be able to drag the files to the trash, since they show up in the find file window. You could also use resedit to change the folder to visible. You might even be able to move a visible folder into the parititon - make sure it has the same name and it should replace the old folder. They you can trash that one too.

------------------
    The Cost Of Freedom:
    Every bit of energy.
    Every ounce of courage.
    Every drop of blood.

Ya know cb,

I never even looked for the darn temps. I had a drive that was duplicated via a sync program on an identical drive. I let PS access that drive as a scratch and it was always 4gig or so fuller than the synced identical drive. Took me a long time to figure that out.

I now keep my scratch disk on its own partition and I erase that partition (actually 2 scratch partitions) once in a while with FWB utilities. And then optimize the partition for best speed. That'll clean the darn thing out for you.

If Sherlock can find it can you just move the file from Sherlock to the trash?

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 16 March 2002).]

I just tried it. No go. You can't replace an invisible folder. Sounded like a good idea. I know nothing about Resedit. Would be afraid to try. Any other ideas??

cb

Thank you so much ricks!! I used Norton's "Wipe Disk" and it did the trick. I didn't know about those other features. Thanks for the headsup!!!!!! and the oh so quick response!

I knew someone here would know what to do. MacGurus.com is the BEST!!! I have more questions coming.... haha

cb

Search for AutoPurge on Version Tracker. There is a bug in 9.04 that would leave stuff in the temp folder and I would put AutoPurge in startup items. Booting from 9.1 CD will clean out the temp folders also.

Norton, DiskTop, File Buddy, all you have to do is unselect the "make invisible" on the file. There are a couple user friendly tools.

I got it. I used a feature in Norton's called "Wipe Disk". Never knew it was there, but it worked. WooHooo almost back to normal now.

cb

Initialize the scratch partition.

This is the whole point of a scratch partition, you can initialize at will and have defragged scratch space available.

Sometimes people intermix "initialize" which can mean 'initialize a drive' in Drive Setup. Erase. Initialize. As long as you know what you mean and don't wipe out your good partitions, Apple is responsible for this disinformation.

Now SoftRAID is one hellofa tool that can create and delete volumes at will without losing or initializing the entire drive.

Gregory

Was wandering by, and the subject interests me, so I dropped in. Heard of but never knew what a "scratch disk" was. I have one, but didn't know it.

So much to learn!

I use Peak (an audio editing application) which creates temp files as destructive edits are made, in the event one wishes to revert. There is an option, though, to erase these files. You free up disc space, but obviously loose the ability to revert any edits.

Would Photoshop have this option as well?