Thread: Unable to boot System from CD-ROM

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone can help me. I am trying to upgrade my system from 8.1 to 9.2.1 and am unable to boot up from the CD-Rom. My configs are: Power Computing Pro225 with an internal PlexWriter using Speedtools 5.7. I have tried holding down the "C" key and restarting...I have gone under the Control Panels under Startup Disk and highlighted the CD-Rom and restarted - and neither of these options work. I have also hooked up an old external CD-Rom hoping it would boot from there...with no luck. Does anybody have any other ideas???

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Vicki

Hey vicki,
    www.xlr8yourmac.com/OS9/os_9_2_1_install_mods.html
    You will find this link most helpful. You do not have a hardware problem. OS 9.2.x will simply not boot your machine without the tricks discussed at length in the articles. You will need the MachID Wannabe control panel, an installer patch and a system resource patch. It is also best to boot from a different drive than the install drive or the OS 9.2.1 CD-ROM (which won't boot, as you found out).

I just have got to say, OS9.2 has nothing in it that will improve your pre-G3 mac. 9.1 is the ticket. ALL the changes in 9.2 over 9.1 are aimed at new hardware.
    Rick

Thank You both SO much!!! While I'm a bit too amateur to attempt all the tricks, I was able to boot up using 9.1. Sometimes the obvious just stares you in the face. My thought was to get the newest and latest version if I was gonna upgrade. Anyway...thanx!! V :-)