Thread: G3 desktop Max memory?

I have a Desktop G3 with 192mb of Ram-Is it correct that I can put in 3 x 256mb and now max out at 768mb. I have seen info on this in the Apple knowledge base, but it only refers to the machines that have a logic board with revision 3 and I have revision 1. Thanks Lee

[This message has been edited by LeeSales (edited 22 December 2001).]

You can use 3x 256MB. Good reading here http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg3desk.html and http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...eigesdram.html

Note that near the bottom of this page http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...mitesdram.html it looks like you can use PC133 256MB but I don't have a Beige G3 so I'm not positive. Others will have to comment. k

I've personally tested only 128M and smaller in my G3 desktop. IIRC Apple says the max is 128M modules, but Low End Mac suggests that the G3 recognizes 256M modules at this url. http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3.shtml

Earlier I wrote 512M, which was a mistake.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 23 December 2001).]

Okay I dug into this a little bit more and it seems as though a number of sites including this one are saying that you can add 3 each 256mb modules for a total of 768mb Ram regardless of what revision logic board you have--but here is what Apple has posted in their knowledge base which seems to to say you can only do this if you have a revision 3 logic board:

"Electrically, the Power Macintosh Desktop can support 384MB of memory, using three low profile 128 MB DIMMs. Without low profile 128 MB DIMMs, the computer is limited to three 64 MB DIMMs for a total of 192 MB.

Note: Power Macintosh G3 computers (Desktop and Minitower) that have revision 3 logic boards can support 256MB DIMMs for a total of 768MB of installed RAM. Refer to Kbase article 24924: "Power Macintosh G3: Identifying The Logic Board Revision" to identify which logic board a Power Macintosh G3 came with."

Now can anybody tell me who is correct here? Thanks Lee

[This message has been edited by LeeSales (edited 23 December 2001).]

Hey LS,
    You can use low profile 256 MB RAM sticks in any G3. The reason that Apple didn't include 256 MB sticks in the original specs is that these boards were not available at the time of development of the beige G3s. Here's a direct quote from the current Apple Developer Hardware Notes for the G3 : The minimum bank size supported by the Grackle IC is 2?MB, and the largest is 64?MB; the largest DIMM supported is a 4-bank DIMM of 256?MB using 128?Mbit SDRAM devices.

The quotes you found, especially the first one, are TechnoBabble (sounds good, means nothing, and if it did mean something, it would be 100% wrong). The MacOS determines, for the most part, how much RAM space is addressable and, given Mac-compatible RAM, current classic OSes will "electrically" support up to 1.5 GB of RAM (whatever the heck that means).

The G3 had only two logic board versions, A and B. The revision B logic board was produced with two different ROM versions but the revision B board with the latest ROM does not equal a revision C board. One of the most obvious improvements in the revision B board was an updated ATA 0/1 controller which could support two ATA devices as master and slave. The revision A board could only host one device.

Regards

[This message has been edited by MacMikester (edited 26 December 2001).]

Thanks MacMikester,

I guess my real issue here is I am wondering if I can survive with this Beige G3 266 mhz when I start upgrading to all the OS X programs. I don't want to upgrade the RAM and spend all that money on the software to find out my hardware can't handle it. So is it safe to assume that if I bring my RAM up from its current 192mb to 384-768mb I could still operate without affecting performance too much? Thanks Lee

The RAM upgrade itself will be nothing short of wonderful. And SDRAM is very cheap these days compared to the DRAM us legacy dudes have to consider buying. You are also in the enviable position of being able to purchase a real, working, actually shipping dual G4 processor upgrade from XLR8 for your beige G3. In my humble opinion, that would be the way to run OS X on your machine. The other opiners on this board and I can also fill your PCI slots with all manner of super upgrades if you really want to hold on to your box for a while longer.

Okay MacMikester-what you said looked pretty simple and unassuming until I went and looked at that mass of product on the site and by the time I got done reading it I am not quite sure what all I need. I am sure of one thing though and that is putting one of those dual G4 processors in my little Beige G3 would be like putting a 427 cu in. engine in a Volkswagon for my Grandmother to drive to the grocery store! In other words it looks like a little bit much for me and I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it. Anyway I do like what I read about the Mach Speed G3Z MSZG3500/10x/250/1)and I have a couple of questions. Is this card all I need to buy or is there something else-I see all this about adaptors and such and I don't understand? I also read something referring to additional cooling for this card-is that mandatory for this configuration or is that just to drain every last ounce of speed out of it? Oh and this card plugs in where? Thanks Lee

A G3 at 500MHz should be fine, but I'd upgrade the CPU only after the RAM. With 384M RAM, my G3-266MHz is exactly as satisfying under MacOS 9.1 as my G3-500 TAM and G3-400 PM9500.

Addressing your specific questions:

(1)
    "is [Mach Speed G3Z MSZG3500/10x/250/1] all I need to buy or is there something else?" This is all you need to buy. Older macs need an adapter to use ZIF upgrades, but the G3 desktops come with a removable ZIF that pops out for the upgrade.

(2)
    "additional cooling... is that mandatory for this configuration or is that just to drain every last ounce of speed out of it?" The latter. No extra cooling required to use a ZIF upgrade at its rated speed.

(3)
    "this card plugs in where?" Unplug the ZIF 266 G-3CPU and plug in the ZIF accelerator.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 26 December 2001).]