installed in in slot 6, 4 and 1. This is on my UMAX S900 newer upgrade
    G-3, with OS 8.6.
    The system profiler did reconize it once in slot 3 but the next restart
    it did not.
    The install software takes you to a apple site and downloads firewire
    2.4, after reading the info with 2.4 it says this is only for OS
    system 9 and above.
    Can you please tell me what is going on? When i ordered the XLR8'S
    MACh Fire PCI card i ordered it for my OS 8.6 .
    Is there another version of firewire that i am suppose to be using?
    Any help appreciated.
    Thank You, Bob

I don't have experience with that card but I know it should work OK in your machine. You need to have The PRO version of Quicktime 5 installed and, supposedly, the MAch Fire comes with a software key to upgrade the the non-Pro version if you have that. You need ALL the QuickTime extensions enabled as well as Apple's 2.4 FireWire package. You also might need to update your system to OS 9.1 but I am less sure of that.

HTH

Just checking if i am following what you said.
    You are saying that in order for the computer to reconize XLR8's MACh firewire PCI, i need to make sure all quicktime extentsions are enabled and i need Quicktime Pro 5 to be installed??
    I did download firewire 2.3 which it says is for the OS 8.6 but that didnot make a difference.
    I ordered the XLR8's MACh firewire PCI card with understanding it would work on OS 8.6. I really do not want to upgrade to OS 9 just to get this card to work.
    later, bob

Did FW 2.4 work? FW keeps "improving" and isn't perfect. I recommend using the FW extensions from 9.1 or later. Use TombViewer to extract from 9.2.1 updater even.

Some FW devices don't work well, like CDRW on some setups. There are cheap PC FW cards (look at www.xlr8yourmac.com) that people are finding work even on a Mac though. But S900 may be unique case.

Can't see why it would care what QT version - and the driver doesn't care what OS you have. Even OpenTransport, OpenGL, GameSprockets, etc can all be upgraded independent of the core OS in most cases. 3rd party FW drivers from InTech etc are also an option and some FW drives come with an OEM version of HDST (like Maxtor units).

What are you planning to use it for though?

Gregory

Gregory, No 2.4 did not work.
    I guess i don't follow on using FW extensions from 9.1. Where do you obtain them from?
    My plans were to get a firewire cd-rw and probably another external harddrive.
    Bob

MM's comment about QuickTime relates to the fact that if you want to use FireWire digital video devices with your computer, you need the latest version of QuickTime, which contains the necessary drivers.

FireWire 2.3.3 for OS8.6 here http://downloAd.info.apple.com/Apple...tosh/FireWire/ k

OK, thanks. I have the firewire 2.3 installed. But still from looking at apple profiler, you can not tell that the firecard is there.
    I am beginning to think that just by the fact that it shows something that it might have recognized it. I have a IXTV card in a PCI slot also. It works, but from the info from apple profiler , it dosen't tell what the card is.
    I need to get a firewire device and plug it in and see what happens.
    bob

I have a MachFire card in my PTP225 / XLR8 G3/500 machine and it doesn't say anything specific about the card... simply says PCI104x, 8019 under the card type and 104c under the vendor...

This machine is running 9.1 and I have had no problems running a EZQuest Boa CD-RW off of it...

OS 9.1, QuickTime 5.02 (Pro), FireWire 2.7 extensions...
    Chris

The Firewire bus does not appear in Apple System Profiler unless there's a device attached to it. This did have me going for a little while too.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 06 December 2001).]

In my case, I do have a Boa Firewire CD-RW connected to the MachFire card. Under my Devices and Volumes tab, all I have are the three SCSI busses (I have a Miles2 installed as well),. the USB bus (I have a DualPort installed) and the floppy. No indication of what is hooked up to the Firewire card - just that it's there...

Oh well - as long as it all works ;-)

OK guys, thanks for the helpt. Will get a firewire device connected and see what happens. With any luck i won't have to come back here. ha
    Bob