Thread: CDRW drive takes ages to spin

i bought my G4 533 (OS 9.1) in february and since i have had it, the sony CDRW drive inconsistently takes ages to spin & mount an image on the desktop after i put a CD in. The strange thing is sometimes it happens straightaway, sometimes 20-30 sec!
    otto

Does this depend on the CD? - might be a dirty disk or dirt on the CD lens.

Chris

Yeah.....what chris said. Go to radio shack and get a can of "Dust Remover Spray". With machine powered down, and cool, spray that puppy out and see if it doesn't get better. It's a gas and kinda nasty, so resist the impulse to breath it.

I don't know if it'll matter, but is Virtual Memory on? If so, turn it off.
    c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 15 August 2001).]

hmmmm....i don't think it depends on the CD - seems to do it on different ones from brand new to audio CDs. It's happened on and off since the first few times i used my drive. I generally use BASF cds to burn data.

i'll do a few more tests with differnt CDs & see what happens

virtual mem is off

cheers
    otto

[This message has been edited by otto (edited 16 August 2001).]

Does sound a bit like your CD reader's lens is dirty.. I know my portable CD player is suffering from this at the moment - it takes it a while to get going. In the past, it lived under the passenger seat of my car - at first, it ran well - but now, 4 years later, it's starting to have problems...

My $0.02

Chris

I have a portable air compressor that I use to blow dust out of computer boxes, floppy and CD drives. I had a bad experience with the Radio Shack stuff since the propellent leaves a thin layer of liquid if you hold down the button and keep it held down. Short spurts was better but I still didn't like the possibility of a liquid residue so I threw the can out and got a very fine pin hole end piece at Sears for my compressor that really accelerates the air stream. k

Now I get to add an air compressor to my artists rendition of "Kaye's Bunker" to go with the huge battery bank to run his custom UPS..... on the other side of his 10 foot wide floor to ceiling fibre channel connected RAID array which feeds to his 10,000 disc multiple CD-RW carousel which houses the URL/site summary data Kaye uses for his Expert System database on Mac hardware/software/firmware and coming technologies, which all feeds his "at my fingertips" GUI user interface.

you're an amazing guy Kaye....................... what elses you have down in the bunker there? We want to see pictures!!

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 22 August 2001).]

Latest? Louie goaded me into a Mark I ThrustMaster system, stick, weapons handle, and Rudder pedals, all used but everything works and it looks new with a little cleaning, ADB stuff. While I'm working on getting the various flight sims loaded with his huge help, he is practicing so he can blow me out of the sky. I have no room on the table for the two sticks, so I'm building a board to accomodate the stuff. Then I gotta practice. Louie is lurking somewhere above and at my six, weapons armed, goggles and scarf in place, an evil grin. k

oh, man.