Thread: ok, humor me here

just for the sake of argument, lets say my 9500 has a 60MHz system bus. would it then stand to reason to say that if i overclocked it just a bit, i could theoretecly mabey possible use PC-66 ram?

i know,i know. still though, seems plausable. could anyone elaborate a bit on why this wouldnt work?

I'm no expert on this, but there are a host of reasons. First you would be trying to put SDRAM in a keyed slot that looks for EDO or FPM DIMMs. Even if it fit, you need 5v and that stuff is 3.3V. Further your memory IC controller, HammerHead I think, is looking for a particular type of memory, and SDRAM is not on its list. You gota have a mobo with a Grackle or Uni-North IC memory controller to utllize SDRAM. Even those two controllers are looking for a particular type, though the Grackle can utilize some later memory not on its list, as can Uni-North. Anyone else? k

1st off its incredibly unlikely your 9500 would get up to a 66Mhz bus speed..
    2nd, Kaye is correct, the memory contoller in that machine just can't use SDRAM, only FPM and EDO that shows up as FPM. 3.3v SDRAM could fit in your memory slots but the SDRAM DIMMs would get fried instantaneously by having 5v applied to them when they are 3.3v. Anything else?

------------------
    ObsoleteMac
    members.tripod.com/threedeefx/index.htm

Besides the previous arguments against. PC66 memories have different keys on the edge connector making it impossible to insert the DIMMs without damaging the slot or the DIMM itself.