Thread: Upgrade 1.2GB HD of 7600 with 68 Pin LVD Cheetah Drive

I need some serious help on this. Obviously new to macs. In an effort to upgrade the 1.2 GB HD of my 7600, I just bought a 18.2 GB Cheetah Drive from Seagate - ST118202LW. This is a 68 pin drive. The current HD on the 7600 is hooked through a 50 Pin cable. So I also bought a 50-68 pin Male to male adapter. When I connected the drive to existing 50 Pin SCSI HD cable, the computer did not recognize the drive....just does not show up on Drive Setup utility. Need help to setUp the drive. Besides the drive seems to spin and hum uncannily. Is this because the drive is incompatible with the existing power supply of the 7600. It could be also because of the high speed of the drive - 10,000 rpm. Could anyone give some step by step advice on setting up this drive on my Powermac 7600....be really grateful. Thanks

Your internal SCSI controllers are limited to 5 and 10 MB/sec transfer rates and are SCSI-2

The Cheetah is a LVD (Low Voltage Differential) drive capable of synching at 80 MB/sec and was never intended for use on your internal bus.

The drive has no internal termination and must be terminated externally. Cheap adapters seldom work properly even on lesser UW drives. Your best bet is to buy an Initio Miles U2W host adapter card kit which includes the proper cable and terminator plus SoftRAID driver software. Look here: http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...tioboards.html .

The MilesU2W for the vintage PCI macs ROCK! You could get a matched pair of Cheetahs and RAID them into a single 36GB drive. I sure some marketing genius would advertise it as 20,000RPM! You can also parition it out fairly easy for boot, scratch/apps, and data or whatever.

You can also bring this card (and the drive) to a new Mac. The U160 cards are better for the new Macs, but the Ultra2, 80MB/s isnt all that schabby!

w,

You have posted this topic on three of our forums. This is ridiculous. k