Thread: Drive Dilemma

I recently picked up a DP 450 G4, and wish to replace the two IDE internal drives. My dilemma is this: do I stay with IDE or move up to SCSI? My main intensive work to this point is with Photoshop, but in the near future I want to use the machine for MIDI and digital recording. What do the Gurus suggest? If you do recommend SCSI, could you then recommend drive type (I'm thinking Seagate) and a compatible SCSI card (I'm thinking either Atto or Miles2)? Thanks.

jsb

Hey jsb. I'll get you started here..........

The big question is how much data you move and how frequently.....?

Try the IDE drives, and ask your self if they serve your needs. If you want to save more time and go faster, an ATTO dual channel SCSI card and dual or quad 15k cheetahs striped in RAID will give you blistering fast, high volume data shoveling.

Miles 2 is a great card too, but in that machine, the ATTO card can make the best use of the faster PCI buss and provide considerably higher data throughput than the Miles 2.

You will likely notice the biggest difference in performance with LVD SCSI RAID when you render or copy large Photoshop files.

Make yourself happy in Photoshop, and you should have more than enough data throughput for MIDI/Digital recording.

My amateur 2, others will be along soon, I'm sure.

Best

c8

You can not boot off a striped RAID in your system... same as a YOSEMITE, but you can stripe 2 or 4 x15 Cheetahs togetherfor a single drive , and you could boot off a single x15 drive or even the IDEA/ATA drives. They are not actually all that slow - IDE that is. SCSI gives you 5yrs, external chasis option and from 15 to 30 possible drives with REAL RAID support for 0 (striped for speed) and 1 (mirrored for redundancey).

The Miles card rocks, because SR is included, but like crazy said the ATTO dual channel SCSI is the DA-MAC-DADDY.

Oh yeah, that's right, no boot from RAID on New World machines.

jsb, if you are pretty sure you plan to keep that machine for awhile, you could start with a SCSI card and one X15 cheetah, as P18 said, and it would still be screamin fast, so far as scoopin data goes.

Certainly, check out the speed of the on board IDE. If that works fine for you, you can buy another IDE at MacGurus to run as slave off the original drive.

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 18 April 2001).]

Thanks, folks, for the great feedback
    My first kick at using this forum - it's great. After long and hard deliberation, I decided to order from MacGurus 2x 75 Gig IDE's for now - and see how they perform. If my need for speed is not met, then I may (after I win the lottery) add an external SCSI array.

Cheers jsb

I think that approach makes a lot of sense.

If you find that you need faster workspace for rendering or special effects, you still have room inside for a pair of X15's and an ATTO.

I just installed my two new babies - and, Holy Rockets, Batman, is there ever a noticeable difference in speed! I'm still using the stock cable and bracket for the two drives, but I think I can do better with what MacGurus has to offer. What do the Gurus suggest I get?

jsb

I've been out of touch for a while. Are you asking about different cables for the two new drives or about a SCSI RAID?

I'm actually asking about a cable for my two IBM IDE drives, as well as a bracket (sled?) to hold them in place. I'm wondering if this would be an improvement over the stock items. Thanks,

jsb

Granite IDE cables here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...gesofheck.html and scroll down the page. Have never laid hands on a G4-450DP, so I can't answer about another sled or drive kit. Someone else? k

nah, there's really nothing to improve. The IDE drives stack right in front of the fan, so there is plenty of ventilation and cooling. The IBM's aren't that hot, anyway.

I see no compelling reason to swap cables. I would just leave it alone for now.

When you want to go even faster, then talk to us about more SDRAM and a pair of X15's and an ATTO. If you need to run a second or third display, talk to us about Radeon or Formac video cards.

Otherwise....enjoy.