Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: g3(blue and white)+final cut pro freezing

hi
    >
    > IM having big problems trying to get final cut pro to run on my blue=white
    > g3 300mhz ( IBM deckstar 60 GB hard drive)
    > the harddrive is ata 100 and my g3 is ata 33 and ide ribbon is ata 66.final
    > cut always freezes.
    >
    > depressed
    >
    > Gary

is that 60 GB ATA 100 on the internal IDE bus? If so, you are getting data corruption. The Rev 1 B&W G3s experience data corruption when adding a faster drive on the internal bus. The remedy is to add a 3rd party IDE card, or use Intechs Hard Disk tools to slow the IDE drive down to 15 MB a sec.

j

hi

I contacted IBM and they told me that I had to take my hard drive out of my Mac installed it in a PC and download a switcher to slow it down. my shop where I bought it did this and after I reinstalled back into my Mac both finalcut and then premiere froze when I tried playing captured video, i think I should bring back my hard drive and get a computer that can edit video.

frustrated

gary

gary,

purchase Intech's Hard Drive speed tools. Its only $48.99 and a comes with wonderful disk utilities. They reside in all the guru's toolbox and should be in yours. They have a setting in the Devices menu, Driver option. Uncheck the Ultra DMA. I have a 45 GB IBM 75 GXP running in my B&W G3 with no problems. Had alot of issuse before I used Intech's driver. Changing the drive from Ultra/66 to Ultra/33 on a PC did nothing for me as well.

j

hi j

i bought intechs speed tools ,do i have to clear my disc and install it. i find the instructions a bit confusing.

thank you

gary

it would be optimal to backup and reinitialize the drive, then restore your data to it.

ok after i reintialize my harddrive with speed tools then what do i do ,i read the manual but im still abit unclear. Do i then install OS 9.04? Do i partition my drive for video,sound,graphics? H ow do uget my computer to run final cut pro or premiere?

thanks a lot
    gary

P.S. sorry im new at this stuff

after you backup, meaning after you move all your data to another drive, you then reinitalize. Once that is done, you simply rename your drive what it was named before (exactly), and then drag your data back. Doubleclick on the System Folder, opening and closing it, to bless it. Then select that newly reinitialized drive in the Startup Drive control panel, and boot.

hi

i only have 1 hard drive so i guess that means i would have to reinstall all of my software after i reintialize ? and i guess that includes my operating system?

gary

If you only have one hard drive, where are you going to backup to?

j

i dont know? i guess icant really use speed tools then?

gary

you really need something to back up to....whether another internal drive, or an external FireWire drive or something.

you can use SpeedTools with only one drive, but it is much better to have a spare drive. Not only can you backup your data, but you can also boot off the second drive to pull maintenance on the primary.

this g3 cant support 2 drives,that was the first problem we came across 6 months ago when we first installed the 60gb ibm drive. maybe ill bring the computer to the shop give the technician the speed tools software and let him figure it out. im fed-up .i have my old 6 gb quantum hard-drive that came with the g3 here. i tried putting the 2nd harddrive into the computer and doing what you guys said but the computer wouldent start up,i guess it was confussed as to which drive was the boss. ithink i should face the fact that this computer was not made for editing video,get my $750.00 back for the hard drive and sell this computer when school is over, borrow some more $and buy
    a new g4 with a big hard drive and pray that that works.
    or spend the money on beer and get very drunk or go to europe for the summer.

thanks for the help guys you were much more helpful than the pricks at mac ,ibm and various computer store "technicians"
    yours truly
    gary

gary,

the B&W is a very capable machine. Just the rev1 had support for only one internal hard drive. If you don't want to buy a new machine now, you can install the 6Gb drive in an external firewire case and use that as a backup drive (depending on how much data you have on the 60 Gb drive).

We are here to help and thank you for the kind words. For video editing, nothing beats a good SCSI card and SCSI drive(s). My B&W has the Apple 6Gb drive internally, with two 18Gb Cheetah SCSI drives. One is my boot drive and applications, the other has all my files, videos, and music. The Apple drive is running OS X.

The possibilities are endless. If you need further help deciding, just let us know.

Best regards,
    j

I see no reason, in this case, not to simply replace the little Apple IDE drive with the 60GB?

he would have to use the SpeedTools work-around, but otherwise should be fine, right, J?

Magician;

His problem is that he has no place to store his data while he initializes the new drive. Some driver software will "take over the drive". I'm not sure if Intech's will do that or not. I've personally had problems trying to do that with other drivers.

hi

how do i go about setting up speed tools if i only have one drive. i tried with two,i put my smaller apple(slave and master) in the g3but it wouldent start-up (bliniking question mark in folder) both hard drives have the same info on them,i think that must be driving the computer a bit wacky. for my last try should bring it to my computer shop and get them to install speed tools?
    or get the $ because the old g4s (duel processors) are getting really cheapnow

gary

yes magician,

the Speed Tools walk around works great. The 60 GB drive on the internal bus will yield 15MB writes and reads speeds. Plenty for a dv stream.

Gary, how much data do you have on that machine? Maybe we can help you through this. If you don't want the expense of a SCSI card plus drive setup, get a Sonnet ATA PCI card. Run the 6Gb drive off the internal bus and the 60 GB drive off the card. That should yield 25MB a sec. Gives you the ability of using one of those drives as a backup.

Are there anymore dual G4 Sawtooths out there? Maybe the dual 450s.

j

hi again

i returned the 60gb .now if i give the tecnician speed tools whats shoud i tell him to do with it?

out of curiosity; does the rpms(7200) and the media stream have any thing to do with each other?
    i think you said for doing video on my g3 it should be 10mbs per sec. when i checked with speed tools it was at 29mbs per sec.

i dont think my technician nows about this stuff!

scary eh

gary

In the Intech Speedtools,

under the Device Menu select Driver Options...

Then disable DMA or Ultra DMA (forget the exact term used).

j