Thread: G4, single to dual??

Does anyone know if the single processor G4's have the option of adding a 2nd processor, basically turning a G4/400 into a G4/400 MP???

Thanks guys!

No, only one CPU socket on the daughtercard.

If you buy a MPe upgrade (I believe they have them here) with one processor, you may be able to run your existing processor as the second CPU. You would think it would be a sure thing, but various build characteristics, material runs, etc....do make variances in the CPU's themselves. Seems like I've read here or elsewhere it'll work, but may not be optimum unless there a pretty close build spec match.

One of the Gurus can likely address the particulars of those issues.

c8

depends on the G4. If you mean a PCI Yikes as opposed to an AGP Sawtooth, then the answer at this time is yes. You can install a MACh Velocity with dual-G4. Generally, you'll want to use a matching pair of XLR8 G4Z ZIF MPe for this. You can repurpose your pulled ZIF in another machine, or just keep it on the shelf as a backup.

there are not yet any upgrades for Sawtooth. I think you'll see them announced and maybe shipping around MW-NY this Summer.