Thread: ATI Radeon 7000 in 9600 a dog!

Have just fitted the 32mb pci Radeon 7000 to my 9600 Xlr8 G3-432, OS 9.1. All went according to plan, booted fine, no crashes, crisp screen etc. Problem is when bench testing the new card the scores are so bad they are slower than the OEM twin turbo job.

Why????

I got this board to replace the 16mb ATI Rage 128 board which was struggling with the screen redraw of 400mb Photoshop files. By comparison the 7000 sucks.

I have been running dual 21" monitors from the Rage 128 and the OEM Twin turbo cards in PCI slots 4 and 6 and got scores better than a stock G4-400 from the Rage card.

Having read in forums that slot placement can effect performance I pulled all other pci cards on the bus except the Miles U2W scsi which runs 2x18gb cheetahs as a raid. Refitted the 7000 rerun the tests and got scores equivilent to an OEM G3-400. Still lousy and much slower than the Rage128

I've swapped the Miles and 7000 into every slot combo you can do with no improvement. I've checked the latest drivers and have 7.0.1 and the latest rom v.208 was already on the card.

OS 9.1 has OpenGL v 1.2.4 in the extensions.

Can anyone out there make this dog run!!!

System is as follows

9600-200MP with XLR8 G3-432
    1.1GB of interleaved ram - 3pairs of 128mb dimms in slots A6B6 to A4B4 64mb pairs in the rest
    MilesU2W in PCI slot A1
    Rad7000 in slot D2
    USB in slot F2
    ethernet in slot B1
    scsi bus 2 has 2x 18gb 15k Cheetahs
    OEM scsi bus has 1x36gb Barracuda, 1x PlextorCDW and 1x 100mb zip

OS 9.1 was a clean install into a wiped 8gb partition on the raid.

Help!!!

Strikey down under

^

Also I only use the standard VGA monitor port for connections.

I would like to put back either of the spare video cards to run the second monitor rather than using the DVI-I port for the second screen.

Strikey

Try updating the ROM on the R7000 and make sure that you have the latest drivers also. I assume that you did a PRAM reset as well as cuda reset in all this?

[This message was edited by Gregory on Wed May 28, 2003 PT at 6:42.]

Strikey,

1.1GB of interleaved ram - 3pairs of 128mb dimms in slots A6B6 to A4B4 64mb pairs in the rest
    MilesU2W in PCI slot A1
    Rad7000 in slot D2

You've got all of that exactly the way I would do it. Never had a Radeon 7000 but did have a PCI Radeon Mac Edition when it first appeared. After checking that you have all of the latest as Gregory sez, could you give us a list of all of the active ATI extensions and control panels with version number (a pain I know)?

I do remember from way back that several folks with dual ATI cards, two Radeons or one Radeon and another ATI card, had troubles similar to yours. You might want to try benching just the Radeon to see if that makes a difference. Also, what are you using to bench test? And you have Virtual Memory turned off (I think it automatically turns off with that much real memory anyway)? k

The ROM and drivers are the latest versions according to the ATI website.

Most benchmarked tests were done with only the R7000 & Miles in place.

I will get all the latest ATI extensions and send ASAP

Strikey