Thread: AGP video card 4x in a 2x slot ?

I was told it wouldn't work but unless posted specs are wrong it does. I am upgrading my G4/466 from the ATI Rage Pro it came with. I also have a G4/450 that I recently aquired without a video card. My thought was to upgrade my 466 and put it's card in the 450. Now after some reading I find out my 466 is a 4x machine and the 450 is a 2x?? I tried the 4x in the 450 and it works however it only has 4 dif rez 800x600 up to 1280x1024 @ 72 or 75Hz but it does work. Is anyone aware of any future problems this may cause and is there a way to positively identify a AGP4x Rage card? Thanks!

Ken

There are no Rage or Rage Pro video cards that are of the 4X AGP design. It was before thier time.

Others will have to explain the technical side of your questons.

Randy

While I can't confirm it 100%, I beleive that the earlier ATI AGP cards were 2x/4x compatible. I think it was only the later ATI and all the Nvidia cards that were strictly 4x AGP. The BTO option Radeon 8500(according to Apples site) was 2x/4x compatible, so I guess you could assume that the Rage Pro 128 was as well. Besides, the 4x cards CAN work in a 2x slot, it just may not be 100% reliable and could eventually cause a failure down the road. I've searched Apple's site and can't find the AGP spec (2x or 4x) of the Rage Pro 128 card anywhere. Hope this helps.

Correction: Apple.s site even lists the Radeon 9000 Pro as being 2x/4x compatible

[This message has been edited by maxguy72 (edited 04 March 2003).]

[This message has been edited by maxguy72 (edited 04 March 2003).]

From what I understand the Nvidia G4 Ti is the only one that is a 4x specific and will not work in the 2x board. I hear the rest will go both ways?? I'd like to know that for sure but?? I have a nVidia GeForce 4 MX 64mb card on it's way and possibly a Ti that I plan to try in both the 4x and 2x board so I'll know first hand. I can't find any info on the ATI Rage Pro 16mb saying 4x or 2x.