Thread: AGP card in a PCI slot?

I was thinking of upgrading my second video card and instead of getting a Radeon 7000 PCI card, is it possible to just put the GeForce 2MX AGP card in a PCI slot and upgrade the main card to a Radeon 9000 or an 8500?

-A

tmxmnr;

No. The AGP slot is entirely different than the PCI slot. If you did manage to somehow force it in, you'd damage stuff. Probably make it smoke, burst into flames, etc.

It would be scary.

In other words, don't try it.

Thanks Jay... I've never looked at them closely, but AGPs have always looked like they would fit in the PCI.

Since an AGP was (at least to my understanding) an accellerated PCI, I kinda thought it would fit, but not necessarily work. Oh well!

Thanks,

Anthony

Actually you can put an AGP card into a PCI slot. you'll notice the card is actually the reverse of a PCI card. an AGP (accelerated graphics port is just a PCI slot reversed and the bus speed doubled (2x) or quadrupled (4X) etc. the reason it is reversed is so you don't put normal PCI cards in the AGP slot. ofcourse the card would be the wrong way round, it would run slower than intended and you may have a problem with cablng but the main point is that it would run!!

I am not so sure about this. I took my new found knowledge from reading your post into an Apple store and was stelling an Apple guy that it was true. HE said no and opened a new Grey G4 case. Sure enough, the AGP slot was noticably smaller at the base then the pci card slots. Perhas this is becasue there was a 2x and the new ones are 4x. I am not sure if your data is correct for earlier AGP cards but they do not seem to fir in recent macs. This is what I found out.

lb

Is the guy an apple service engineer? if he is he should read up about agp slots! I've seen one running. the card runs slower in a pci slot as the bus speed is slower (33 MHz) than the 66Mhz AGP slot but it runs.

Eh?? You're having a laugh, right? Or are you seriously suggesting you can jam an AGP card into a PCI slot, which is of completly different architecture, and then claim it works?

NO!! It is absolutely utterly physically impossible!
    Open your computer up right now, and, providing you have AGP graphics, try ramming an AGP card into a PCI slot... there is not a hope in hell it will work.

I'm not sure how you figure this one, but it really is pretty basic stuff...

Incase you'd like to 'read up': http://www.3dlabs.com/product/compatibility.htm

Hope this crystallises things for people.

[This message has been edited by Peanut (edited 17 February 2003).]

And still, there is a mystery here. I don't think that what the Apple rep was showing me was wrong. I was looking also. Different footprint on newer agp boards. But, I picked up an ATI xclaim vr pro recently for cheap. I took the 4 meg video ram off it and filled the bus in my beige.
    ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x, XCLAIM VR PRO 43101

I think this is the one: http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/xclaim/xclaim.shtml

But I can't decide if it would be a better fit for a 21 NEC monitor than the Rage pulled from a B&W, that is currently running monitor 2. I am thinking not as the Rage from the B&W is 16 megs of ram while this card is max 8 - 4 after I grabbed the 4 meg VRAM off of it.

But my point is that, it clearly is marked as AGP 2x on the chip. And yet it will indeed fit into the PCI slot on either my 9600 or my beige, and work.

So, it would seem that there is more to this argument than is obvious at first.

lb

Not really... The graphics chip is exactly the same for both AGP and PCI versions of the cards (providing both versions are produced; newer, more powerful graphics boards are tending to be AGP only) e.g. I have the original Radeon series graphics card in my beige, obviously PCI. But ATi also made an AGP version of this card, and while the connector was different, the actual graphics processor itself is *exactly* the same so some chips may well have 'AGP' written on them even though they are fitted to a PCI card, simply because they also support the AGP configuration.

It probably won't say 'PCI' on the chip as well, since it doesn't really give the impression of power when was the last time anybody saw a car with "8-Valve" written on the back it's not something you really want to show off!

I have one of those cards. I think that is probably what threw me originally regarding PCI and AGP. The card is an ATI Rage 8 MB card (maybe from a Beige, I bought it used), but it clearly says AGP 2X on the chip, though I've only used it in PCI slots.

-Anthony

I think someone is confusing AGP with 66MHz PCI.