Thread: 2nd monitor - PowerCtrPro240

Just came into a spare monitor (has a 15-pin cable just like the existing monitor--can't remember what that flavor of monitor is called). Wondering what sort of PCI card I'd need to get it going as a 2nd monitor on my Power Computing PowerCenterPro 240. Nothing fancy needed (I don't play games on that machine). I don't know anything about video cards or PCI cards -- any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Using it as a second display, you can go with just about any card. Your primary concern is that it be compatible with your current operating system and be able to handle the preferred resolution for the monitor you're using (13"=64x480, 15"=800x600, 20"=1024x768, etc). Since the 2nd monitor wouldn't have to handle any 3D work, that shouldn't be your primary concern. Many manufacturers are now producing video cards without any of the bells and whistles just for the purpose of 2nd displays.

Cool - thanks! I checked, and the "new" monitor is a lower res than my existing (it is 640X480 only) but if I had to step the existing monitor down to that I would still be gaining valuable real estate.

Any advice on a particular card(s)? I have no idea what brand/name/number/type to look/ask for, or if something new is even available (and relatively affordable), or if I should be looking for something used.

I have seen the IXMicro ix3D UltimateRez 8MB PCI for $44. I gather IXMicro is out of business.... Does MacGurus carry something like that? Is that more card than I need or not enough?

Thanks again....

[This message has been edited by DorkusMalorkus (edited 16 February 2002).]

[This message has been edited by DorkusMalorkus (edited 16 February 2002).]

I use the ix3d for my second monitor. It works great and gives great resolution on even a good 17" display. You'll likely grow dissatisfied with that fixed resolution monitor is very little time. Especially when you ca pick up a used 15" Multisync monitor for under $65 at a used computer dealer (They're called "Computer Renaissance" here). That card will handle any 2nd monitor you use up to Mac OS 9.1. Apple even supplies the drivers in the Mac OS install!

Yep, sooner or later I'll probably get a better 2nd monitor (I have my eye on a neglected one at work) . For now I'll experiment with this one....

So, does MacGurus carry the ix3d card or anything like it?

If not, should I also be looking at used cards?

Other types of cards I should look for?

Good places to look (I saw the ix3d at OWC)?

Thanks again....

[This message has been edited by DorkusMalorkus (edited 19 February 2002).]

ixMicro has been out of business for a few years now. Any cards you find are going to be used or surplus. There are actually two types of the ix3D. One has the manufacturer's ROM and the other has the Apple OEM ROM. The difference is that the Apple version disables some of the higher resolutions. They're both very good cards though. I don't believe MacGurus sells any surplus merchandise.