Thread: 3D Game not working

Hi, not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but I don't know where else to find help. I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem with my video card and/or computer. Upon trying to start a new game of "Heavy Metal 2" I get an error message saying something like: "Quake 3 error, game couldn't load". I've been to the game manufacturer's site and tried all their troubleshooting tips to no avail. The system I'm trying to run this game on is a G4 733 Quicksilver, 640RAM and a NVIDIA AGP 32mb video card.

The wierd thing is that this game works fine on an older G4 I use at work with and older ATI video card. Could it be and extensions conflict? NVIDIA card problem? How does one test the video card for problems?

Thanks.

niktu,
    Being a game junkie myself I know where your comin from. I have never run HMF but I do have a Quicksilver and there have been issues.

When I first got the QS I couldn't wait to get into my favorite game Baldurs Gate. I'd been making do on an accelerated 8600, the jump to the 867 QS ought to have been spectacular, it was. Everything worked except ANY framerate control. The QS ran the framerate so high the game was unplayable and no amount of tweaking by me and the developer would change that. (when's the last time you heard a gamer say their computer was too fast, huh?)

So I moved on to BG2, just released, in this case the QS wouldn't run the program. It would crash out on launch.(except in OSX where if the speed was higher the game played perfectly, go figure!) I worked with Mumbo Jumbos lead programer Chris Jacobson (by that I mean I raised my dumb hand and volunteered to be a guinea pig) and tried all sorts of configurations to fix the problem. The problem had by that time become known as common to the QS model.

One of the things we tested was replacing the graphics cards with 2 different versions of ATI, the Radeon AGP and the Radeon PCI. With the total replacement of the OS, operating fresh with no nVidea extensions the problem persisted. I think you can rule out that portion of the hardware as issue. The GeForce3 I was running when installed in a gig-ethernet model ran the game perfectly also.

I am currently running the games on a B&W with nearly identical software and no problems. I wouldn't want to try to run them in OSX on the slower G3/500mhz B&W but in OS9 it does fine.

The gist of all this is I think there is a bug in the hardware of the Quicksilver not yet accounted for and it's not graphics card related. Seeing as how loath Apple is to do firmware upgrades on their roms I have no idea how this will get fixed, but fixed it will be. There are way too many of the QS machines out there for it to be ignored.

Keep close watch on the developers site and don't be shy about sending them emails to prod them into action, if no one bitches they have no reason to work on it.

Rick

Hey ricks thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Do you mean to prod the game developers or apple to fix the bugs? Or both? It seems crazy to not be able to run these games on the newer G4s.

I meant the software developer. They are VERY interested in you having a good experience. Apple assumes you'll have a good experience. Differing viewpoints.

I've found that pressing the support team at most developers gets help started. They mostly try very hard.

Good Luck.
    Rick

But if its a bug in the G4 what can the game developer do?

Niktu,
    First of all, it's supposition on my part that the G4 hardware is at fault with HMF. Most programs/games run fine on the QS, but there are several cases of games in particular that do not, yet all things being equal those same games will run on all other G4 models.

If the problem is Apple hardware the developer will most likely be the one who actually defines the incompatabilty and comes up with a patch. Apple may come up with something, but I would guess that least likely.

Your first step is push on the developer. Your next step is create a bare extension set that covers the extension incompatability issues. You want to make up a set that has absolutely nothing that isn't nessesary to run the program and see if that solves it. That will take some work on your part, you may even have to find out what the set should include from the developer.

Only when you've covered the extension and peripheral angles do you get to the stage you can be sure that the hardware is the problem.

I was misleading if I gave the impression that the Quicksilver ABSOLUTELY HAS to be the problem. In the case of Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate2 it has boiled down to that. My point was only that the possibility exists that the QS is the problem.

Rick

Ah, got it now. Thanks ricks. Sounds like its going to be pain in the ass, but I'll try your advice. Thanks.