Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PCI Cards

Sounds like a Voodoo 4 or 5 would be best how about a 3?
    They are all about the same speed - in FPS. What the V4 allows is FSAA - it is essentially a V3 with 2x the VRAM or 32MB. The V5 is essentially two V4s (32MBx2) and allows you to run FSAA without much penalty.

For Glide games the Voodoos ROCK - my PTProG3/500 with the V5 looks better @ 800x600x16bpp+2xFSAA than my G3/500 B&W RADEON PCI (rave) running 1024x768x32bpp.

One thing - though the V5 uses a lot of power - esp in 3D mode, when both GPUs are running full tilt, so it is probably not the best card for a 7500 - esp if you have a lot in it. I think your powersupply is only about 150W.

Others have mentioned places where you can get V4s & 5s - maybe they are still selling them?
    GL

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

www.MegaWatts.com has Voodoo 5500's for $109.99. No drivers come with the card. You can download the latest (unofficial beta) driver at www.versiontracker.com

I did find them somewhere else (I forget where, sorry) online for substantially less, but they were sold out. You might get lucky looking around. Some vendors seem to be cutting prices to clear out their stock. That's what that low-price I found was, if I remember correctly.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I just bought one from Ebay for 102$ in shopping ebay for them I was tracking several and they all went for 95+ $ all the way to 120$ so that 109 sounds reasonable just to not have the ebay hassle

Well I was thinking a Voodoo 3 would work good - not too expensive, not stressing my power supply and I really don't do the 3D or heavy duty grapics.

Dragon - does a Voodoo 5 really pull too much power in a 7500 with the XLR8 G3 400Mhz upgrade

BUT...........

A Voodoo 3 is $65+ used/new so a new Voodoo 5500 for just at or over $100 sounds like a better deal........

Suggestions or comments very much welcomed.

If I don't use my computer for games - what would a Voodoo cards do for me? Am I wasting my money?

Thanks
    Randy

Well the G3/400 probably uses less power than the original CPU. Not sure how much wattage the fast large L2 on the G3 uses though. It is probably still less than the 604e/200Mhz or faster.

I might have a spare V3/3K. I am thinking $50 + ship would be fair. It will be flashed with the Mac b12 (or higher?) firmware. I can include drivers... I might put the on my site.

If you play Glide games and have been Voodooless - I think you will be impressed.

Now back to our regularily scheduled Terrorist Butt Kicking Contest

Are the 3df Voodoo cards specfic to either a MAC or PC?

OR are they the same card for each?

Different right?

I will get back to you if I end up going Voodoo 3 - for my needs it sounds fine.

Thanks again

[This message has been edited by rwm (edited 11 September 2001).]

The PC version of the Voodoo3 is the same one that is used on a Mac. There actually never was a Mac version of the card. 3Dfx released a beta driver so that the PC version could be converted to work on a Mac. The latest two beta drivers are available here on MacGuru's ftp site.

Actually there was a Mac version of the Voodoo 3 released, but by Village Tronic (remember them?). Since the downfall of 3dfx, there are no more VT 3dfx cards, they're using Trident chips now. Also, read that other post in the videophiles section.

As for flashing the V3's ROM, I recommend the Beta13 ROM and drivers (they seem to be the fastest in testing), you can grab the Beta13 drivers from my website on my signature.

Ya the Voodoo 4 even a 5 seems like the better deal - unless I can find a Voodoo3 for $30.00

I was told by a PC user that he knows of people flashing a Voodoo 4 and using it in a Mac.

I have found several good prices for a PC Voodoo 4.

Is this an option ...OR... am I making a biggher mess for myself.

Thanks
    Randy

We are off on another topic now -

I started a new thread in Video Upgrades -> Voodoo3 flashing, drivers PC/MAC

Thanks for the input so far.