Thread: anyone play ghost recon?

I have just begun fooling around with this game and have encountered lots of slow game play, pausing during movement as if the processor or graphics can not keep up. However, I am using a 500 mHz G4 (sawtooth) with 512 MB RAM and a Radeon 8500 with 64 MB video RAM - I had thought that this was plenty of horsepower. anyone experience similar problems?
    ps. anyone on this forum play games? Just wonder why not many posts (zero) on this topic, perhaps I am the only one who can't get preferred set up to work to satisfaction. Or maybe I just like to whine.

One of the biggest performance hits to gameplay(or so I'm told) is if you have Mip Map Textures turned on the in the Options->Graphics panel. I'm running a Quicksilver 733(overclocked to 800) with a GeForce Ti 4600 128MB. Ghost Recon tends to be more processor dependant than CPU dependant, so your settings in the Options->Graphics panel will have a pretty big role in your performance. I use to play in 1024x768/16 bit resolution, but I was getting between 10-20 FPS with everything set to medium. I changed my resolution to 832x624/16 bit with pretty much everything set to medium, turned off vehicle and human shadows, and deselected show dead bodies and now I average between 30-70 FPS depending on whats going on. With your rig, you may want to start with 800x600/16 bit and everything set to low with mip map textures OFF and just work your way up from there. Gradually turn details up and see how it affects performance.
    On a side note, I have a 1.7GHz Celeron PC with a Radeon 8500LE that I built, and it gets an average of 60-80 FPS in the demo with everything turned up to max and playing in 1280x1024/16 bit resolution. Which just further solidifies that it's not so much graphics card, but more CPU. Post back and let me know how things work out.
    Also, if you haven't yet, turn your on-screen Frames Per Second on so you can see how your settings affect your gameplay. To do this, go into your Ghost Recon folder in Applications (or wherever you put it), then go into your Ghost Recon Data folder. There should be a file called "options.xml". Open this with Text Edit in OS X, and find the line that says FALSE.
    Change the FALSE to TRUE and the next time you start up your game, you FPS should appear in the upper left corner of your screen. J

[This message has been edited by maxguy72 (edited 16 February 2003).]

bif and maxguy72,

?Thanks for resurrecting this forum. When we originally started this topic Gurus was just contemplating the rebuild of the entire site, and me being a gamer from way back I kinda pushed this as a way of starting to sell controllers, accelerators for graphics and generally have a place to get game tips.

?Well, the site got pulled off line and side issues prevented its quick return and no game products ever got carried. Here we are.

?However, things are looking up that we might soon see a MacGurus back selling stuff and when that happens this Forum is going to get some well deserved boost into the land of the living.

?Thanks again,

Rick

?Oh, and I have a copy of Ghost Recon that I haven't tried yet, I was trying to get through Baldurs Gate II with a 'Sword Master' character that can't use armor. A tough proposition since the game is geared to spell casters and armored warriors. But it is fun since he has unbelievable abilities to hit darn near everything.

Wadin' in blood,

Rick

I'M glad you may be back soon. As for GhR, I was jsut getting around to giving it a try because I had to do some major hard drive shuffling and stuff. Anyway, I was running it on a new 80 GB Seagate and had just used Carbon Copy to transfer a OSX.2 system from the old drive, since I had only just begun reinstalling other things, I decided to completely initialize the drive and do a clean reinstall with OS9.x and OSX.2. Now I have given the game another go and it is running super, no stuttering at all. I will turn on the fps thingy just to see what it is doing and advise.
    Baldurs Gate - another game on my shelf that I keep wanting to take a crack at.
    I hope that this machine will manage it when it's turn comes (probably soon, this winter looks like it will never end).

bif,

?I play BGII on my B&W in OS9 almost exclusively. I have yet to get BGII to play with any kind of graphics card acceleration in OSX even on my Quicksilver so I don't recommend it. In OS9 your G4 will run it great!

Rick