Thread: Playing Unreal Tournament via net or my router?????

I just purchased the Unreal Tournament from amazon.com for 20 bucks it was in a red box and new. I am a gaming novice.

Plays fine on my QS 733 with 896MB RAM. - me against the bots. Since it is an OS 9 game I was playing in OS 9 would OS X and "classic" be any better or worse?

I tried a few "multiplayer games" over the net, some worked most did not? I tried via my LinkSys router with my 7500 G3 400 and my QS 733 - No go - but I am sure I was doing things wrong. I am not a skilled player at all and do not know the maps or mazes but that is here nor there..

Any help, ideas, suggestions, websites. I have a good ADSL 512 connection and the 2-3 times things worked my speed seemed fine. How much memory should I give the game? I think Daimen has a web site dedicatrd to it.

Heck for all I know I bought a 10 year old version.

Help me guys, and thanks
    Randy

Hey Randy;

I remember you e-mailed me some time ago about playing on-line. That got my curiousity up so I tried it and ended up crashing my Mac. D-OH!

It would be cool to get our own Gurus tournament happening. I haven't been playing as much lately because I'm on my third trip through and Xan is kicking my ass! It's not as much fun when you just can't win......

Anybody have some tips for us amatuers?

The times I do connect things seem to work fine. Oyther thsn getting my a** beat and that is an understatement.

Actually I mucked a 3-4 people and was mucked out 50+ times.

Yea waiting 5-10-20 minutes and then not even connecting each time just to get my buns whooped at the risk of screwing my computer - don't sound as fun as it did once, the demo is looking better.

Damien's page helped - speeded up my fps.

Hey ya, a rookie tournament would be fun. We probaly live too far away from each other to get decent speeds. I am in western Montana.

Randy

HI ya Randy,

?I didn't know ANYBODY was in western Montana

?FYI, I live only a 45 minute drive from Apple's headquarters and I CAN'T get a big enough connection to play Unreal without paying through the nose for ISDN. No way can I afford that. So I put up with the next best thing, 28,800 on a modem. WOOOoooof.

?The tel company says we can have DSL this Christmas time, I'll believe it when I see it. Until then you won't see me trying to pretend I am a statue on a tournament site, which is about all you are other than being dead at 28.8.

?I have been playing Medal of Honor. Not bad at all. a bunch harder and more realistic (if that's a word we can use with these games)than Castle Wolfenstein. It plays perfectly and fast in OSX. I had a coupe of times where other applications were running in the background and Medal of Honor slowed down too much to play, but that's not the programs fault. I'm in the train station now and my health-o-meter is at 5%, not very many health packs here and I keep having to redo parts of this area to keep from dying. When you are at 5% you can die just by having an enemy soldier LOOK at you. Makes it fun, I could always go back and redo the part where I got hit so hard, but it's better this way.

?I finished Castle Wolfenstein. That was also well enough written and performing in OSX. I guess Damien sold his G4 cause he couldn't beat Castle wolfie, hahaaa. Back to Tomb Raider with ya.

?Don't let the bots get you down Randy.

Rick

?

Hey YA, Rick right on Flathead lake. Too many people. Move east of the mountains and yuck!!! This was one benifit to living in the sticks a few years back they put fiber optics in and I get a good DSL connection. Phone company claims 512 down and all the tests I check it with give me at least 375-400 but usually around 425-475. One site says I am 8 times faster than a 56k modem.

Like I said, the times I did connect it seemed my internet speed was fine - just lack of skilll and knowledge on my part.

The bots are more than capable to kick my buns. Even setting things easy.

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 15 July 2002).]

I put the file Damien suggested "UnrealTournament.ini" to open GL and gave it 650MB RAM - Runs great with the bots.

My QS 733 has the GeForce2 MX

Does monitor size have anything to do with things - the game performance?

Randy

To the extent that monitor size is reflected by the resolution settings that you choose to run there is a performance hit. The larger the monitor means (usually) the higher the resolution. Higher resolution means more data to crunch. This is a minor thing compared to the detail settings that you have in the graphics control panel. Set your resolution (monitor size) for good viewing and adjust all the other settings UP to their highest settings allowed for smooth playability.

?Unfortunately you know all this, there is no secret 'super speed' settings that make our 800ish mhz machines behave like a 2k Athlon.

Rick

My connection is pretty good. Verizon claims the pipe will do 768 and I get over 600 consistently. Of course it helps being within 1 mile of the station. Not bad for $50 a month.

I just don't know much about how to setup my system for playing online. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it just that buggy?

The game plays good even with my 8500/G3 400 thanks to the Voodoo5. 4XAA is a little sluggish but 2XAA rocks. Just wish I could give it more RAM (only have 320).

Hey M

I am just over a mile from my station. Yor getting 200 more than me so your connection should be good. I pay $40 a month for unlimited use, that should be a 512 down.

I use my 7500 XLR8 G3 400, 288 MB RAM is all it has, a Miles2 and 10k Cheetah with a Voodoo 3/3000. I have not tried to connect it to the net but it plays the game great as is. Your 8500 should be as good or better unless my Miles2 and Cheetah combo make a much bigger difference.

My little book here says -
    1. Connect to the internet
    2. Press esc to get to the main Unreal page
    3. Click multiplayer - and select Find Internet Games
    4. Select the "Populated Servers Tab" - there are a bunch of other tasbs/options that I have no clue as to what they do.
    5. Let it search all the servers and select one with a lower ping rate - it displays the game being played, number of players/max players and some other info. I don't understand most of it.
    6. Double click on the one you want to enter.

Some let me in fast and I play, some download several files/maps..??? Not really sure it takes a while sometimes and 2 out of three times never connects.

Have you checked this out? http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/

Try it good luck
    Randy

[This message was edited by Damien on Sat May 31, 2003 PT at 18:51.]

I would like to try playing the game with my 7500 and my QS 733 using my LinkSys router so that a friend and I can play against each other or as a team - not having to deal with the net connection or lack of. And were both rookies.

I know it can be done - the computer are connected currently. I just do not know how to connect them to each other with the game. I only tried once real fast.

If no one sheads any light on it I will just keep on trying.

Randy

Not sure if this will help at all but here goes.
    1. for myself, using a 56K modem (28,800) I was never even able to connect to an online game.
    2. whether UT or other online games, keeping the connection for me is only occasionally a problem with my 8500 via cable. Evidently random disconnects are not that abnormal though. Also some games limit the amount of players but still list the game as available, which means when you try to connect, you wait and then dont get in.
    3. I think in order to get a game going with your friend unless you both join someone elses game, you will need to set up a server game http://unreal.epicgames.com/utServers.htm
    I hope some of that may be of help