Thread: 2940U2B problems with Newertech Maxpowr G3 500

Hey all,

So I have a 9500 that I have been using and upgrading periodically for digital audio work.

For a while, I have been using 2 Atlas 10KII's (not striped or raided or anything) in an outside enclosure, running off a 2940U2B, in LVD mode. Processor was a Sonnet G3/400.

I changed the processor to a Maxpowr G3/500, and started getting weird things happening. One of my old video cards immediately showed an incompatibility (Mach64); the ATI twin turbo 128 still seems to be fine. But the biggest concern I had was that all of the sudden, only one of the LVD drives started showing up (coincidentally the last on the chain). I can connect successfully to only one drive at a time. Both are in working order.

Removing the problematic video card didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

PowerMac 9500 w/Newertech Maxpowr G3/500
    OS 9.1
    Tons of RAM
    PCI 1 2940U2B
    PCI 2 M-Audio Delta1010LT
    PCI 3 empty
    PCI 4 ATI TT128
    PCI 5 empty
    PCI 6 empty

Thanks in advance,
    GENE

Gene,

Since I had one of those Newer Maxpowr G3-500 cards in a Umax S900, I strongly suspect your "Tons of RAM". The old Newer Tech website had a page saying that it required FPM 60ns or better memory that is both buffered and dampered. It is the buffered and dampered thing that hurts, since almsot everything goes thru main memory.

I think I still have a pdf copy of that html page if you want me to email it. It shows what to look for to check for both buffered and dampered on the RAM sticks. k

Hi Kaye,

Thanks for the reply.

Sure - if you've still got that file, send it on over. I had to dump all the old -70ns memory for the Sonnet G3/400 and replace it with -60ns memory to get it to work. As to whether this new memory is buffered or not, I have not the faintest, foggiest clue.

Let's track that down and see what happens.

Thanks,
    GENE

pdf file has been emailed. k

Okay -

I checked the memory and it looks like the new stuff has a timing chip with "--3244---" in the code.

Does this make a difference from the "--2244---" mentioned in the .PDF?

Thanks,
    GENE

Gene,

In my experience, 163244 should work as well as 162244. Newer tech support told me that 163244 is both buffered and dampered but, at the time, the memory was so new that they did not know what possible other specs were in the "3". 163244 worked in my S900 with Newer G3-500/250.

If you have discovered any memory that is 16244 (buffered but not dampered) or H244 (Bus Hold) you should remove that. Also any memory that is 70ns should be removed. Only 60ns or faster.

Even with only good spec memory, you should run a memory test. k

Hi Kaye -

Okay, let me dig through all the memory and see what is what - I know for a fact that -70ns has been removed from the system.

Might this memory issue be affecting the operation of the old video card as well? It worked fine under the Sonnet G3/400.

GENE

Greetings Kaye,

Alright, I checked everything out and found I had 2 sticks of old RAM with a 16244 number, so I pulled those (only gave me 64M anyways).

However...no change in situation. I tried wiring up the LVD's as before I put in the G3/500, and again it only recognized the drive which was last on the cable.

Now interestingly enough, I tried running the Powerdomain utility to see what it said, and it would not (or could not) open up the main screen (showing the SCSI devices and speed options, etc.)

I'm thinking termination. Or maybe the 2940 needs an update? It's running vers 1.2, so maybe I'll surf around a bit and see what I can come up with.

GENE

Gene,

v. 1.2 is the latest. Unless it got hosed, you're fine in that dept. If you do flash it, disconnect drives cables etc first.