Thread: drive problem

I got a new scsi drive card cable and terminator. I hooked everything up and formated the drive. the drive was freezing up after the format so I rebooted reset the pram and then decided to zero the drive ... the zeroing failed and now the drive does not show up in disk utility on startup the drive spins up clicks 4 times and spins down ... the colors on the drive go from green to orange then the green flashes. everything shows up in system profiler. Also the drive does this when the ribbons are not attached and it just has power... I tried different power adapters also. Any ideas?

What drive, controller, format utility & version, OS, and what Mac you are using. SCSI voodoo is one thing, and hard enough, mind readers we are not.

Termination is important. Term has to come from an active terminator (wide drives) and not from the drive itself. Also, that the SCSI ID does not conflict, which it almost sounds like.

Low level is never a good idea - it can result in a dead drive. To resurrect a drive, sometimes FWB SCSI Configure (4.5.2, full version) can help.

Also, Apple's utility doesn't work with all drives. And SCA 80-pin drives are difficult, if you are using an adapter. There is an SCA FAQ in the SCSI forum, as well as an FAQ in the RAID forum that touches on SCSI issues.

- G.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Tue May 20, 2003 PT at 15:00.]

Maxtor 73GB ULTRA 160 SCSI 68-pin Hard Drive

Apple/ATTO UL3D Ultra160 DUAL-CHANNEL (Ultra320 capable!) 64 Bit PCI Mac SCSI Controller, New, Card Only, 90 Day OWC Warranty. (APL661AU3LD)

4800 cable and 2015 male terminator from granite digital

I run mac os X.2.6

thanks

oh yea and a quicksilver dual 800 G4.

I was using disk utility to format the drive... the drive didn't come with any other utility. I'm new to this stuff I tried the FAQ's but didn't find an answer.

Should work. Did you check the jumpers? are there any other drives on the card? I've commented on this card in other threads, it should work in your system. they do have what I consider to be rather old firmware, but they are OEM and not updateable. The retail cards use 1.64 or 1.66 but that card seems like some of the earliest models.

I have a thread over on OWC support forum trying to see if anyone has used one in a pre-G4 successfully (UL3S is what I currently use in B&W, but this OEM card will not).

Try Drive Setup 2.07. If you need FWB Configure, what it does it restore a drive to defaults. Also, ATTO EXP is handy to use. You can find direct references in recent threads.

You may want to download and install the ATTO software for OS X too. www.attotech.com/software should get you directed. In part, to update or inspect the nvram settings and defaults on the card.

I hope this 68-pin drive is retail and not OEM? Should still work, only FWB Configure won't work, and OEM drives appear as generic.

The new Maxtor is Ultra320, 73GB $416 at [http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...773]googlegear [/URL] and is one of my main drives, 70MB/s. Runs well.

What were you doing when it froze up? One thing I always do with any new drive to "work it in" and test it out, and give any bad blocks a good test is to load and fill the drive with large 4GB size files, erase, then load it with smaller files, before actually putting it into use.

Is it in an Apple RAID mirror? on its own? were you copying to/from? I had trouble in 10.2.5 and had to do a reinstall. Running fine in 10.2.6. It seemed that 10.2.5 downgraded some ATTO extensions I had installed (ATTO ExpressPCI Configure Utility, ExpressStripe, and more current drivers). There also appeared to be a problem with the UL3 and ACard. I pulled the ACard, not worth the trouble for the small benefit.

Sorry it wasn't as easy or "plug and play," and more like "pray."

Drive is internal? does it have time enough to spin-up? Do you have Disk Warrior, so you can repair the directory and boot blocks? That has worked with other drive problems where volume wouldn't mount.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Tue May 20, 2003 PT at 15:47.]

If a format fails... your probably sunk.

resetting PRAM or even OpenFirmware isn't going to affect what is most often hardware.

Someone from Maxtor hangs out on the www.storagereview.com forums and one of his comments is, no matter how inexpensive SCSI drives have become, treat them like they are an egg when handling, very gently. Also, when new, give a drive 24 hours to acclimate before opening the anti-static bag and installing.

Sometimes, when installing Jaguar, it will look and see what is attached, and - a guess but close to what I've seen - update firmware on CDRWs or controllers that are OEM, or provide code to update the device. Always nice to do a clean install with new hardware.

I've had drives that didn't show up and gotten them back, sometimes not. I'm sure you can RMA the drive but probably don't really want to.

The Atlas 10K IV line is an update and improvement over the 10K III line. You might want to look at SCSI drives over on www.hypermicro.com to compare prices. Seagate Cheetah 73GB 10K.6 (latest model) is only $359.

If you bought it at OWC, you might look into seeing if you can purchase Intech Harddisk Speedtools (3.5, its OEM, $10) which might help. But first, give ATTO ExpressTools a shot.

- G.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Tue May 20, 2003 PT at 15:55.]

I tried ATTO express tools. it read the drive but said there was an error on the bus when it scanned. Drive setup and disk warrior do not show the drive. Disk warrior on osX however through classic shows it as being there but II can't do anything to it.

I think the drive may not have enough time to spin up ... How do I change this?

thanx for all the help.

well I tried the drive on a PC also still no luck ... ran a test of express tools without the drive connected and no error on the bus ... pci host shows up. SInce the drive only booted twice then kept spining down on startup ... even when the ribbons weren't connected this leads me to believe the cable and terminator were ok and the drive is just faulty. I just recieved the drive 5 days ago and have a 30 day warranty from the place I bought it so I will go through with an RMA. Just to be sure I get everything working when the new drive comes in what should my jumper settings be on a single drive machine? and how should I go about the formating?

Since you're getting a partial spin-up and then shutdown with a flashing LED, I very much suspect that nothing you did caused the problem. The worse case senario for a failed low-level format on a SCSI drive should be no more than another low level format.

Your case sounds to me to be more likely a drive that was damaged in shipping or had a major flaw to begin with! Thank your lucky stars that you didn't copy your other drive(s) to it successfully and erased your previous drive before it died (Happened to me once! ONCE!) I just installed a 60GB in my B/W replaceing the original 12GB. I used Carbon Copy to tranfer the image. Needless to say, the 12GB is safely stored until the 60GB really proves itself!

Tony

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person!

I would RMA through Maxtor. There's no 30 day limit, rather its 5 yrs. Only problem is where it is an OEM drive or gray market.

Sometimes a drive's mode pages need to be restored before trying another LLF. It just seemed that if this is first time and you don't have any 3rd party utilities, but if ATTO has trouble when the bus is scanned... is there any possibility that the cable isn't seated properly? something in the hardware end, besides the drive itself, sounds amiss.

Over the years, a bent pin inside a connector can cause such a problem. Some drives come with "spare" jumpers, but the jumpers are on real jumpers on one of the two sets of blocks, and doing something. Usually, with a single drive, except for auto spinup or start delay, sometimes only, there shouldn't be any jumpers anywhere.

Head over to Maxtor, and look up the drive model, then the diagram and setup guide that shows all the jumpers and what they do. Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor, all have them online if not on the top label of the drive. IBM's are clearly marked right next to the pins.

- G.

On the RAID FAQ I added some comments from around the 'net on SCSI hardware.

- G.

thanks guys .... the RMA is going through now. You were very helpful to get me through this.

well just wanted to let you all know the new drive came in and it works fine .... so I guess it was just a drive a bad drive. thanx again for the help.