Thread: who to talk to at OWC

I am fixing to pick up a few things at OWC, another HD, and a couple of 128MB DIMMS.
    My last experience at OWC, they shipped the SCSI drive with ATA instructions. No problem, Seagate had excellent PDF's on their site.
    But this time, I'd like to talk to a knowledgeable HUMAN at OWC, to make sure they include jumpers and machine screws (for mounting) with the drive.
    Can anyone recommend someone to call? Extension #? Name?
    Question #2- What's up with the Gurus site, when is the dust going to settle? I miss all those handy reference pages...

I would say don't buy disk drives from OWC. Can't point to the MacGurus Store yet, but I can direct you to better places where you get what you need. I do check out drive prices etc on OWC and they leave me wondering why anyone would. five yrs ago OWC did have remarkable prices on ATA and SCSI. Not now.

www.hypermicro.com has excellent prices in SCSI drives and the latest models. You'd be amazed how affordable 36GB 10K 70MB/s can be.

www.googlegear.com has good prices on ATA drives, whether one of the WD Caviar Special Edition, IBM 180GXP 180 or 120GB w/ 8MB cache, or Seagate Barracuda.

Some controllers don't deal with ATA drives with 8MB cache properly, and with SCSI, I'd avoid like the plague older drive technology or drives that require adapters or converters (but LVD and Ultra160+ drives DO require active terminators and good cables). www.granitedigital.com or www.attotech.com ATTO Store.

Seagate Cheetah 10K.6 36GB $169 @ HyperMicro
    Maxtor Atlas 10K III 18GB $99
    etc.

If adopting a wide drive (or SCA which is hot plugable server unit) to narrow, a Seagate drive with Granite adapter is probably the way to go.

Some of the pages are in FAQs, some need updating. The search on this site is the fastest I've ever seen (and, it ain't Google's I don't think either).

[This message was edited by Gregory on Wed May 21, 2003 PT at 6:32.]

Dear Emory,

quote:
    Can anyone recommend someone to call? Extension #? Name?

Try Chris Roberts on (800) 275-4576 ext. 159 at OWC. Tell him you've met a crazy Italian guy from Milan, on the MacGurus forums.... he'll understand. Chris is a very nice bloke and he will do all he can to help you out.

However, like Gregory I would suggest you that there are better places on the net where to fetch Hard Disk drives (Googlegear is certainly one) and memory sticks. Also, Gregory is givin you good advice on those SCSI controllers and interface cables (boy! Granite is my #1 choise).

Don't just stick any memory module inside your machine: upgrading the RAM is probably one of the most intimate and delicate upgrades you are going to do inside your machine. Make sure you fit the best inside there.

My suggestions is to look up at Gregory's GREAT MEMORY FAQ thread to learn more.

Let us know if any of the above helped.

Good luck.

Costa

Take it to the Max, Mac!

Sounds like ("128MB DIMMs") an OldWorld mac, in which case OWC is probably your best bet, and even if you run into one bad apple <bg> it's ~$25. If its SDRAM, PC133 for G4's is close to good. If Beige, be careful, very careful. So it varies. DDR-DRAM now predominates the memory market and keeps falling in price.

We don't have a "calculator" or guided upgrade java program like Crucial or even OWC where you plug in "7300" or "MDD 2002" and get suggestions... you have to actually tell us what Mac you plan to upgrade and stuff!

- G.

Dear Gurus,
    yes, I was kind of stingy with the details. It's me! the Protector of all things old and outmoded, sic 240 series Volvo wagons, 50pin SCSI drives, and now the proud owner of two 9500's, yas, beige is beautiful.
    Did you know that in December of '96, a 9500 w/ a 2 gig drive, 200Mhz, 8x CD & 32Mb of RAM cost three-thousand nine-hundred and forty-nine dollars?
    So, I picked a second machine up on eBay recently for $50.
    I was holding back on the details because, Gregory, I didn't want you to git mad at me for buying yet another SLOW Narrow 'cuda. But hey, 800,000hrs MTBF, you can drive nails with the thing. I am going to use 9500II as a file server for my growing Cumulus catalogs.
    Trivia bit #2- same date, 1996, one 32Mb 168 pin DIMM cost 309.00.
    For better or worse, I am eternally stuck in OS9.1 until my chillen graduate from college.
    BTW- PTLE is rocking in the old Mac!

black and white photography

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I like OWC for many things ...many name branded things that is. After some bad experiences with the ram there I prefer one of these places

Here is a list of vendors that have quality ram, good prices, 100% Apple compatibility , and a lifetime warranty.

http://www.crucial.com

http://www.memorytogo.com

http://www.ramjet.com

http://www.memorysolutions.com --->AKA Mac Solutions

For vintage Macs I usually use Memory Solutions

Damien,

Damien's Stuff