Thread: IBM DRHS 36D will not mount automatically

One of two ibm DRHS 36D SCA LVD drives stopped working after only 15 months of home office use. Maybe dirty power? but it was behind a 60 dollar surge protector with no UPS. I cannot get the dead drive to light up with any of my tricks and tools. So, I bought 2 more (according to their external labels) IBM DRHS 36D SCA LVD drives off ebay from separate folks.
    Using Apple System profile, both new drives have a revision number of 02A0 and a product ID of DXHS. My (other) still working IBM DRHS 36D SCA LVD drive reports a revision number of 0270, and product ID of DRHS.
    The suspect drives both format and mount fine, and way fast, on my Mac 8500 G3, but when I shut down the external enclosure they are located in (after
    shutting down the Mac), and start the external, and then computer, the drives do not auto mount.

One drive I low level formatted and it is not recognized (as formatted) when I use various disk utilities to mount it. When the Apple disk utility starts up(9.1x CD) and probes the bus, the drive does spins up. It does not mount after spin up unless I reformat. Once reformatted it passes all tests, and even can boot the Mac as long as I do not turn off the electricity to the enclosure it lives in.

I did not low level format the second new drive. It always mounts (if the electricity is left on to enclosure) when asked but does not automount, and is always recognized as formatted, even if enclosure eleectricity is cycled. I CAN shut down and restart my computer all day, but with the external enclosure left running both suspect drives ALWAYS mounts on computer restart and is ALWAYS seen on the desktop.

I use all Granite Digital stuff including a diagnostic LVD/SE terminator along with a (3rd) working perfectly IBM 36D. I also ran another Ultra2 Adaptec card (Apple OEM). Results did not change. I tested with all above parts and
    configurations in both external bays (external
    enclosure is a 2 bay Digital Granite). I tried, sequentially, one change at a time, the jumpers that would matter: using SE feature, autostart up, disable unit attention, and various scsi id's. I even left the terminator off the far end of the bus on enclosures external top and bottom connectors (68 pin of course) No change in symptom occurred.

Finally, when I read the invisible files, after successfully formatting
    and mounting on the suspect drives...again, I
    see all the files I should see (the same as my
    working IBM drive). What makes the one suspect drive not lose its formatting when the electricity shuts off? And why do they not both automount? Hitachi web site is informative but no help. I have read everything on this mech. From Hitachi email support and reading the MacGurus SCSI forum, I did note that server class IBM mechs are identified as problematic by contributors. Hitachi support said they have no Mac diagnostic software, but try reformatting in a different block size (away) from 512. The mech spec calls out a format capability range of something like 220 to 770. I have not tried this step yet. I also could put the drives in a wintel box and run the diagnostics they do have. Anyone see something obvious that I am missing?

Did you check the jumpers for "spin up at power on"? This may be it.

Bob McWilliams

Thx for the response Bob. Yes, I tried all states available on the "auto start up" jumper, and the delay start jumper, but mo change in the fact that they do not automount... Why, oh wwhy does turning off the eelctricity make a difference?

I am running OS 8.6, and 9.1x. As soon as I get some room (10GB), I am going to install the 3GB work-station RPMs of Yellow Dog Linux v3.0. Put it on my new powerbook without a hitch.

Some drives spin up to slow or some systems boot to fast. For Apple to mount the drives they need to be ready when the SIM loads. Do you have any special drivers for the RAID? If you set the system with base extensions does it mount? This could be just a special case.

Bob McWilliams