Thread: New SCSI utilities/Card models

I had posted a new set of driver utilities for the Initio SCSI cards. The actual Firmware/BIOS is the same. We are going to begin selling our cards at our on line with PC and OS X support. We will roll this into our resellers soon. You can visit http://www.initio.com/support/index-download.htm for more information. Also note that our SCSI cards are now only "one model" for Mac and PC at the lower price.

Bob McWilliams
    Initio
    bobm@initio.com

Bob asked me if I would beta test the planned new shipping Miles2, Miles, and Bluenote PCI cards along with the new firmware. Of course I was eager to try them and received the shipment on March 21.

The firmware works on the existing cards as well with the exception of the Miles (UW) Rev. E cards. Not enough space on the chip for the OSX firmware to exist on that card. See here http://www.initio.com/support/MilesOSX.htm for more info and about Initio's upgrade for the Miles from Rev. E to F.

Right out of the box, the new cards ship with PC and Mac OSX.2 firmware. I tested all three cards in my G4-1.25G MDD and G4-800DP in 10.2.4 with drives connected. In the case of the Miles2, two X15.3 drives running LVD singly (not striped) with SoftRAID drivers. In the case of the Miles, same drives running single-ended (SE) with SoftRAID drivers. For the Bluenote, Gregory's Cuda Ultra narrow 50-pin drive with SoftRAID driver. I benched all setups, they all worked with both G4s in 10.2.4.

Next step is I wanted all three cards to work in OS9.2.2 (actually OS7.6+ or later) as well as 10.2.4 for both G4 boxes. Of course there are separate firmware folders for each card with an all important READ_ME. If you purchase one of the new cards it will come with a CD which I suppose will have all three folders. Inside each folder, Bluenote, Miles, and Miles U2W, is the appropriate Smart SCSI utility and firmware sim for flashing the firmware for B&W G3 and later boxes as detailed in the previously mentioned READ_ME. Doing the firmware flash makes the appropriate card work in both OSes for B&W G3 and later. But remember, a Miles card must be Rev. F. All three cards were again benched in both 9.2.2 and 10.2.4.

As an aside, Bob provided me with a PC utility (you will not get this) to return the cards back to the "new" state, meaning PC and OSX only, so that I could check that the the "new" state of each card and firmware updates worked for each of the G4s I have. Eveything fine.

Now, inside each of the folders for the card you have, is another folder, for instance "Bluenote Beige Systems 9 only". The term Beige here is meant generically, meaning Beige G3 AND earlier boxes, in my case a PowerTower Pro. It gets a bit murkier here. According to the READ_ME, "Due to hardware compatability users running Mac OS X on systems before the B&W G3 may need to flash there cards to each driver OS9/OSX when changing operating system environments."

One of the cautions we here on the Gurus forums have preached in the past is that you should physically disconnect the drive cables before any firmware flashing. I specifically asked Bob about that and he said that the flashers may be run safely with the cable and drive connected and mounted. Only if something like a power failure occurred during the flash might there be data loss. In my estimation that could happen during normal operations anyway. So all flashing I did for all three cards was with everything connected. no problems.

That said, back to the PowerTower Pro with OS9.1. I don't have OSX on that box. I flashed all three cards using the Smart SCSI and sim file inside each beige folder. On this machine I only had two of the three cards in the box at a time. Benched all three cards. No problems. Now if I had X on this PTP or a Beige G3 or earlier, you can run OS7.6+ up to OS9 or you can run OSX.2 out of the box. Or you can flash back and forth with cables/drives connected between whatever old OS you have and X.2. Not the best, but the cards don't have enough room on the firmware chip to cover all the possibilities for both OSes in Beige G3 and earlier boxes.

Sorry to be so wordy. If I made any mistakes here, Bob will correct me. k

That is awesome work Kaye,

?I am in awe of your talent to not only test repeatably but to put down the results in words that make sense. Sounds like Initio has done their homework here. Once again, I would only lament the fact they aren't producing a Ultra320 host.

Rick

The "new" cards will not have a CD with the folders. The updates can be downloaded, 1.5MB.
    http://www.initio.com/drivers/OS9_on...r_2003.sit.hqx

Bob McWilliams

Kaye, I should have you do all our ReadMe's! I all looks good. Please, we do have suport if any questions come up, and I try to get back to the "Gurus" a few times a week.

Bob McWilliams
    Initio

Thanks Rick and Bob.

It was fun working on it and I love the dual OS capability in my G4s. Both now have Bluenotes for my SCSI scanner, two external CD-ROM drives (Apple SCSI 24x and Kenwood SCSI 52x TrueX) and SyQuest drive removables. I have a lot of Photoshop files archived on various SyQuest drive removables, both the 270MB and SyJet 1.5GB. They all work. I really didn't expect the Kenwood to work in X. In OS9 it requires the Intech CD/DVD software, in 10.2.4, it just works, no idea why.

The one thing I couldn't do by myself was use the PC floppy to flash the cards back to "new" state. Fortunately my son has an old PC with a floppy drive and PCI slots and the knowledge of how to bypass Windows and boot into DOS. k

Nice job, guys. Kaye, excellent guidance.