Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: spin up and spin down over and over

shoot, no I don't have that one! Hang on, I will go get it and try it out.

(I just reset the Mac and no change, so this is next)

Just to give all the details first:
    G4 933/1.25ram/60g HD/GeForce4 MX/Super Drive/Zip 100/XLR8 dual USB/Miles2 host/Seagate Cheetah 18gig (ST318406LW) 17" Apple LCD/Sony 17" crt

I went right to the Initio site and downloaded the new firmware. Great! But no change what so ever. Then I figured that there *must* be some misconfiguration. Once I dug out the documentation regarding jumper settings I found that there does not appear to be a jumper setting to disable spin down. But I figured that it would be a good idea to haul the drive out and check all the jumpers anyway. When I did that I noticed, much to my chagrin, there was no terminator on the cable. I suddenly remembered that I had been moving stuff around (cards, drives) in the Mac and the Miles2 card comes with this weird cable that has the connectors on upside down and unevenly spaced on the cable so i was having some trouble getting the cable to the drive. The end the terminator block was on had a longer stretch until the next connector and everything would fit when I removed the term, turned the cable around and re-attached the drive and the card. But, whoops, I had neglected to replace the term! I found it in the bag with the extra mounting screws, jumpers and adapters that I keep. I popped that bad boy back where it belongs and voila! Not a problem.

Boy am I embarrased!

If I was only a little more methodical in my work, life would be a little easier.

Thanks for the patience!

[This message has been edited by greg_w (edited 12 March 2003).]

Wow. ... the I forgot to plug the power cord strikes again!

Let's hope its intact otherwise after this experiment.
    Now we know what a terminator-less drive will do anyway

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 12 March 2003).]

Boy I got confused with all the info being posted. I am glad things have worked out.
    If I post any new drivers I will put a note here.

With the "Deep Sleep" conversation. I can get my Macs here to deep sleep, most of the time, with a SCSI card installed. But I have a lot of users who have nothing but trouble. We have included as much support as we can to enable deep sleep to work, but this is not (or even close) to a perfect world where stuff just works like its supposed to all the time.

Bob McWilliams

Bob,
    Sorry to confuse - thanks for your input.
    My Mac works well with deep sleep. Both with the Miles and an Adaptec that I had in at the same time.. No trouble there.

PLus no that I have the damn terminator back on everything is sweet. First rule of troubleshooting: check all connections. Sheesh! How often do you need to learn that one?