Thread: 80 to 68 pin adapters

I just received a pair of hard drives I got at eBay. They were advertised as 68pin LVD drives but when they arrived they turned out to be 80pin drives. Unfortunately I don't have an adapter to check them out (bench test) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that using 80pin drives with adapters isn't a very good idea?

Ken

ebay them?

The good 80 pin adapters at Granite www.scsipro.com run $49 I think. Best to only use them alone, or one per controller it seems like. They start okay for some but can have trouble later.

18GB Atlas 10K III true LVD that are very capable (40-55MB/s each) on googlegear $97 (free fedex)

I totally avoid and refuse to deal with ebay. along with Pay Pal (security, they aren't a 'true' financial institution, and want to know too much).

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 06 December 2002).]

I'm hoping that the company I bought them from will take them back or pay me something to keep them? I don't think I'd try to raid them as I had intended but may try using one in a portable drive that I currently have with a 2gb snail drive and maybe try the other in one of the kids Classic Mac's. I realize that Granite makes the best or one of the best and I have a few of their cables but I think for less critical situations like a home computer maybe some of the less expensive adapters may be ok. I've seen them as cheap as $12 like here: http://www.buyconverter.com/scsi/index.asp

Here is a good SCSI reference page that I have bookmarked for quick reference. It has descriptions of both the connectors and a brief description of the platform. http://www.catskillsupply.com/scsicabletypes.html

As for eBay I've had both good and bad experiences but I'd say overall I've had pretty good success. Unfortunately there are times like this when something gets mislabeled and then it's up to the seller to make it right and more times then not they will. I'd say if your careful (watch feedback) you can make some great deals. I think the best deal I've made recently is this year old G4/466 with a year old 17" View Sonic (A-70) monitor in their original boxes and a few other goodies for $750 delivered. Next was a 21" View Sonic (P810) delivered for $145 again in it's original box. This pro model monitor sold new a little less than 2 years ago for over $700. The deals are there but you do have to be careful and there are time that deals take a little more time then retail but to me it's well worth it.

Return them to the seller...don't take any cash back, thedrives are not what you are looking for!!!Sca drives do not behave well in home computers and ESPECIALLY if atached to 12 dollar adapters.

"Sca drives do not behave well in home computers and ESPECIALLY if atached to 12 dollar adapters."

I guess I have to tell that to the four Seagate 15150 SCA disk dries that I use in a striped array and hooked up to a Miles Initio UW controller, first under 8.x, then under 9.0.4 and then after upgrading to the F version of the controller, under OSX 10.2.2. If you use a fine adapter [i have used the ones from Granite and the ones from Corporate Systems Center] there is absolutely no reason why they will not work. The SCSI protocol is machine agnostic. What is often the problem is that 'consumer' grade environments use 'consumer' grade cabling and 'consumer' grade termination as well as 'consumer' grade users. However many of these devices , particularly the older ones, run pretty hot. But they will run and will give long service. My dries are on to four + years running 24/7 for long periods of time.

n/m

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 08 December 2002).]

These drives are already 3 or 4 years old and I'd imagine they are server pulls so they are probably pretty tired by now. I'm going to try to return them if the seller will except them back. He should but not everyone does what they should all the time. If not well I guess I'll cross that bridge if and when it comes. drjoe, you wouldn't have a couple of adapters that you could part with? Just in case I get stuck with them.

Ken

I'm getting 23-25 MB/sec with an Initio Miles2 and Granite 80-86 pin adapters on a pair of new IBM 18G drives.

YMMV

------------------
    ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac