Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Initio U2W Firmware

Anyone install the firmware that came out today?

Check out the below link. This is annoying, apparently only some U2W cards will support the update and you have to pull out the card to see if yours will take the update!!! Any idea if there's another way to determine if your card will accept it?
    http://www.initio.com/support/MilesOSX.htm

Uh, that has been there for quite awhile and refers to the Miles UW card, not the Miles2 U2W card. k

Oh, ok, so anyone ought to be able to install it, eh? The way I read the updated page made it appear to me as I said.

Man you guys are quick! I meant to post yesterday about the firmware, but wanted to be sure it went up. I have run a lot of tests with this firmware on all sorts of systems. All INI-A100U2W Mac (Miles U2W), INI-9090U Mac (BlueNote) and most INI-9100UW Mac (Miles) will update fine. The only issue is the Miles card must be rev F or later. (it has a bigger ROM) Please report any issues to tech support, as thorough as our testing is the people who use this for there day to day work are the ones with the best feedback.

Bob McWilliams
    Initio

[This message has been edited by BobMcWilliams (edited 07 August 2002).]

Bob, thanks for the prompt reply. I have yet to upgrade to OS X, but at least the update went smoothly for my G4/733 running 9.2.2. Thanks again!! I'll update to Jaguar when it is released.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Anyone running a ? of Jaguar who ran the update?

thanks, Bob!

Just the information I was looking for - I have an Atto card running on my Mac OS X server (G3/533) under 10.1.5 and I've gradually transitioning all my machines over to OS X. I have 3 Miles2 cards sitting in various G3-upgraded 7300's and PTP's (all with 9.1) and I was hoping that I could just run a firmware upgrade and get them up and running under OS X. Note - the plan I have, budget constraints notwithstanding, is to pick up some new G4's (or slightly discontinued ones - we can get some good educational pricing on machines), and migrate the Miles2 cards over...

(darn Retrospect 5.0 is forcing the issue a bit - I could never get it to reliably backup OS X clients when it was on an OS 9.1 box - now that it's on an OS X box, all is good)

Chris

Hmmm

Just ran it and stopped when I got the message "There's a PC Bios inside the flash. Running this update will remove the PC bios"... There's a comment to run a different SMARTSCSI version if this occurs, but then I get an "invalid firmware version" error.. Everything is running out of the same folder that was downloaded from the Initio site.

Should I go ahead with the "erase" option when that PC Bios comment shows up? - any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

To run the updater, you must boot OS9, open the Miles2 folder, launch Miles_2_Smart_SCSI_9 1.04 and do the firmware update.

Miles_2_Smart_SCSI_X 1.00.app is for changing settings in X but you cannot use it for this firmware update. Must be in OS9 and must use Miles_2_Smart_SCSI_9 1.04 to do the update. k

Hi...

Hmmm thanks K. I must have misread the instructions then - I was already in OS 9 but the instructions on the WWW site said to use SmartSCSI 1.06 ... I'll use the one that came with the card and move the firmware update I downloaded in that folder.

Thanks - I'll let you know how it works.

Chris

Hmm

That didn't work - I have 1.0.3 as the one I first got with the card - when I did that, using the new downloaded firmware - all I got was "Invalid Firmware"

- I've tried 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 but those give me the PC Bios or invalid firmware file error...

Where can I get 1.0.4?

I'm already running Firmware 1.0.5

Thanks

Chris

Well, I see part of the problem. First, I didn't know that there is a new
    OS X.2 Firmware for download on the Initio site. Second, don't move the inia100.sim files around. There is one in the downloaded MilesU2W folder that is the only one that you should use for updating the firmware for OSX capability when you launch SmartSCSI for OS9. Don't have any other inia100.sim files in that folder, only the downloaded one that is already in that folder.

If it still does not work then it sounds like you will need to backflash to try it again. k

Well - that didn't work too well - I used the downloaded one - got the This card has a PC Bios on it. I clicked O.K. - It said the firmware was updated and to reboot.

Well - I rebooted, and lost the drive that was connected to that card - I ended up booting off another drive.

I downloaded the backflash utility and reflashed it back to where I was and rebooted.

Now I'm back to where I started...

Opps...

Chris

I have seen this error in our lab. It is very rare, but does exist. Contact support@iniito.com and we can get you a special update that will correct this.

Bob McWilliams
    Initio

Thanks Bob,

I just fired a note off and we'll see if the new one solves the problems.. Most vexing...as always, I end up being the outlier when it comes to doing anything... always the exception to the rule ;-)

Chris

I just wanted to thank Bob for the incredible support, even when not on their site! Thanks guys for the excellent Mac coverage!

Yes, really nice. - Randy

I just upgraded to the new fw and had a simiar problem. I can now only see drives connected to the Miles2 when booted into OSX. To see them under OS9, I need to backflash.

Hi

Bob - I got that special update but it didn't work either.

I ran the update from that folder, it saw the drives and the Miles2 card, I clicked on update firmware and get the PC Bios message. I clicked on O.K. - it seemed to update the firmware but when I rebooted, the drives attached to the Miles2 were gone.. I had to backflash again.

should I disconnect the drives or.. actually a more pertinant question.. should I actually be on an OS X machine before doing this?

i.e. be on the machine I want to run this on rather than an OS 9.1. only machine

I know I have to be in OS 9 to do the flash but I was thinking that I could flash the card on the existing machine and then physically move it into the OS X machine once it's been flashed...rather than installing it into the OS X, rebooting into 9, flashing, and then back to OS X.

Thanks

Chris