Thread: Add SCSI drive to beige G3 / OS X

I'm trying to squeeze the last bit of usability out of my beige G3, and at the same time considering upgrading to OS X. Currently using 8.6 (yeah, really antiquated!) Can't afford the new G4 I want yet... :-(

I'd need to add another hard drive to install OS X. Not enough room left on my current SCSI drive.

Current system:

Beige G3 Tower, rev. A, 300 MHz, factory installed UW SCSI drive (Quantum Viking II 9.1 WSE, 8.5 GB), 384 MB RAM (maxed out).

Questions:

- I'd like to add another Ultra SCSI drive; I have a bay open for it. I have no idea how to find a compatible drive (40 pin?, 68 pin?, 80 pin???). What do I look for? Make/Model recommendations?

- From the discussion here, adding a SCSI drive to boot OS X may be a non-starter. Some say OS X won't boot on a SCSI drive on a G3. Is this a hopeless endeavor? If so, what kind of drive can I add (will other types go into my G3)?

Should I just bag the idea of running OS X on this G3, and upgrade to OS 9 instead until I can afford the G4? The main reason for all this is that I want to run the new Macromedia Dreamweaver MX, and it requires at least OS 9.

Any guidance much appreciated!

steve

I'd slap a 40GB IDE drive in there. UW isn't supported under X.1 and
    if you want to later you could add an IDE PCI card but my Rev A runs OS X 10.1.4 fine on native IDE,
    but not on Ultra2 SCSI even. Even a 10K Cheetah 18GB might make sense for now and allow you to use it later (~$200?).
    Maybe even look for a compatible PCI IDE AHARD RAID card.

You can use PC100 256MB SDRAM for 768MB total -
    G4/533 cpu from powerlogix $300 which seems to overclock very well.
    check www.xlr8yourmac.com and look in the forums. 633MHz or so.

I'd look at prices on ref'd G4/733 or something else and save.

Gregory

So can I add an IDE drive to one of the open bays? How do I hook it up? I don't know where the connections are.

Also, I'm puzzled about OS X supposedly not running on SCSI drives. Apple offers Ultra 160 SCSI drives as a custom option on the new G4s. Is this because they're different from the SCSI drive I've got?

thanx,

steve

You could go either way really. The extra bay (above your current hard drive) was originally intended for a SCSI Zip drive. As a result, the cable is already present for an additional SCSI device. Any 50 pin SCSI drive will plug and play in that position. Any other wide type of SCSI drive would require a 50 pin adapter to fit.

In order to install an IDE drive, I believe you would need to replace the original IDE cable with a cable with 3 connectors. Check the one you have. If you've already got an extra connector, then go for it! IDE drives are much more inexpensive for the capacity and would be about the same speed as a SCSI drive in the built-in interface.

OS X has no problems running on a SCSI drive. If you install an IDE drive in the Beige G3, you would need to partition the IDE drive so that OSX is entirely installed into the first 8GB of the drive.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 21 May 2002).]

I've tried installing OS X on a rev A beige on SCSI using 2940U2B and it was a no-go. I have tried reading up on forums (Apple Discussions and elsewehre) and I'm not 200% sure but a Rev A may not be able to. That said, even IDE on the ATA/16 bus was acceptable. I think those that were able to use SCSI drives were using the built in native (FastSCSI 10MB/s) bus. But not on UW cards.

A rev A can't have a 2nd IDE drive. A lot of people seem to be very happy with PCI IDE, even IDE RAID cards, for running OS X.

Gregory

Your problem installing OS X was not due to SCSI but to the 2940 board which is not supported for OS X. If you installed the drive on the Beige's built-in SCSI bus, you would have had no problem.

Thanks, lasvegas, for your help. I really appreciate it!

So, would the Barracuda ST318418N be the one to get if I stick with SCSI? And if I go with IDE, will it really be as fast as adding a SCSI drive to the built in SCSI bus?

thanx,

steve

An IDE card would likely be quite a bit faster than your built-in 10MHz SCSI bus. A lot less expensive for high capacity storage as well!

So, as a clue to the clueless, would the IDE card would go into a PCI slot, and the drive plugs into that?

Can I safely have another drive in the G3 minitower case without worrying about overheating?

thanx,

steve

Yes, and yes. IDE adapter is a PCI card, and you should be able to stick another drive in an empty drive bay with no heat problem, as long as the drive is new or made in the last three years.

Clearly you folks favor Seagate drives, so do you have a recommendation on a particular model, say for something in the 20 GB range?

And then for the IDE card, are there particular specs I should be looking for, or a recommended Mfr / Model?

thanx,

steve