Thread: Miles U2W and Cheetah software install

I am trying not to duplicate posts - I think I have isolated the problem and need someone thats used to working on the software install of the Miles2/Cheetah combo. I think it is a Firmware problem.

I posted in Repair/Trouble Shooting -> My 7500 G3 400 turned dog slow... Here... http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000549.html

Thanks
    Randy

Hi Randy,

Wish I had a clue. I've never owned a Miles2, just the 2940U2Bs that Gurus sold.

Your in need of SuperKaye. Kaye has flashed more Miles2s than anyone. Funny part is, he hasn't been caught yet Whooo-hooo.

Lets give a holler at Kaye.

Rick

Batsignal invoked to Kaye!

Sorry I'm late. You want to flash the Miles2 firmware with the SCSI cable removed. The "inia100.sim" file (version 1.06 recommended) must be in the same folder as the "Miles 2 SmartSCSI" application (version 1.03 I think). And there must be no other sim files in that folder.

You might want to download from Initio since your previous download may be corrupted http://www.initio.com/support/download.htm#mac and note, if you want compatibility with OSX, there is a different download to get on that page. I would not do it unless you already have OSX installed.

When you open Miles 2 SmartSCSI, what does it say on the window bar? k

Thanks Kaye, that sounds good. Will let you know if any problems.

Randy

Hey I just thought of something... When I did this before I had the stock 1.2 gig in the machine also - and installed from it Right? I would of had to right? I only have the Cheetah now. I knew I should have found another small boot drive. . So now I would not have a boot drive? Right? My QS 733 and 7500 are networked can I use this?

Can I startup the 7500 wih a OS 9.x CD and do the install process via the networking? What to do?

I also have a old 2.5 gig Seagate Barracuda that I was using when I put the Cheetah in - its not formatted right and I stole a jumper from it. Model no. ST12550N. It has been stored in an anti static bag since the change last year.

Thanks, guys
    Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 08 March 2002).]

This seems to be the 2.5 gig. http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st12550n.html

I figured it was 5400 rpm or less? Is 7200 rpm right? Looks like no jumpers for ID=0 then put it on the end of my stock ribbon? Or try the networking idea?

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 08 March 2002).]

Funny stuff.. My 7500 is fast again??? I have not done anything to it? I opened itunes - opened IE no glitches, opened Eudora, HD's - files winows - quick and fast. Normal.

Whats going on?

Randy

No it is not working right - Best suggestions? Try to add the 2.5 gig for a boot drive, OR install via networking?

Randy

I have tried the 2.5 gig and can't get it initalized. Drive setup sees it and says "it's unsupported". Ideas to format it.

Networking it is not working... it can't work can it?

My 7500 is glitchy again with the networking. But it works fine when using the OS 9.0 CD to starup from.

Kaye what am I screwing up. This is nuts.

Thanks
    Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 10 March 2002).]

you have Drive Setup 2.0.7? have you tried erase/initialize with ATTO Express Tools first and then Drive Setup? how about SoftRAID?

I'll try. I think I have current softeware versions. I hate crap like this.
    Randy

Drive Setup 2.0.7 still says "can't initialize an unsupported drive".

SoftRaid seems to see it as Bus =0 ID = 0. Thats good I hope but its been trying to initilize for 10 minutes no longer? Keep waiting.

Randy

ATTO said it was not formatted. It is trying to now - it's been 15-20 minutes. All the programs I have Drive Setup, SoftRaid, ATTO all see it but don't do anything with it? They seem to attempt to.

Its me.. right. ughhhhh

How do I be certain that the miles software is not right?

Randy

How long should Iet ATTO or another program run before I t's time to shut it off. ATTO says its status is still "busy" and won't let me quit. 30-45 minutes into this now.

Randy

OK - Gregory - ATTO got it - took forever- so I can see it again on my desktop. cool. Thanks....

OPPS... I restarted and it is not on the desktop any longer...... Drive Setup still will not do anything with it.
    Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 10 March 2002).]

Gregory - ATTO -> SoftRaid ->SoftRaid update -> OS 9.x

Looks like I getting it.

Thanks, Randy

Things are OK now. I think.

ughhhhh

Randy

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

A full format (low level/zero data) will take about an hour for every 10 gigs

if all the cables and terminators etc are 'talking' properly and you've got some 10k or X15 drives, half an hour for an 18GB'er - a long low level can create some real heat on a drive.

Today's drives do a lot on their own reducing the necessity for low level most of the time, from what I gather in talks with SoftRAID. FWB Configure can also help recover or even resurrect a drive that appears unresponsive to formatting or being recognized by getting the default mode pages and such back to health and manuf's default specs.

Gregory

It is still working fine. Thanks. The drive was a 2 gig Seagate cuda?
    Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 11 March 2002).]