PDA

View Full Version : Third Hard drive for 7600

casa_lightbody
03-21-2001, 09:49 AM
I have two hard drives in my 7600. One is the original 1.1G and the other is a Seagate 9G. Can I install another one internally or do I have to get rid of one of my older ones?

ChrisYip
03-21-2001, 10:26 AM
Probably not recommended -

But - that being said, I have a colleague, who shall remain nameless, who was able to stuff a third hard drive vertically behind the CD-ROM bay in his 7300... (i.e on its side).

- this is the same individual who using cardboard as internal shelves in his machines...

YMMV

:-)

Chris

Tyrosmurf
03-21-2001, 02:10 PM
OK. I keep seeing this "YMMV" and I'm can't figure it out. I know the following.
IMHO = in my humble opinion
IMO = in my opinion
FWIW = for what it's worth
FYI = for your information
BTW = by the way
And a couple more that escape me. PLEASE, YMMV = ??????????? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

kaye
03-21-2001, 02:12 PM
your mileage may vary. k

casa_lightbody
03-21-2001, 04:25 PM
Rog. Since I see there's no OEM "blessed" way of putting a third drive in I'll have to ditch the 1.1G one. Thanks.

Dogstarman
03-21-2001, 05:05 PM
There is always the option of removing the floppy. Seems kinda funny, and definitely not "blessed", but I have done it. In fact, I have a machine running like that right now. Needed a little....umm....massaging to get it to fit in and be firmly mounted, but it is there. No bubble wrap or cardboard . http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I also ran a 7500 with 4 hard drives. Yep. 2 in the "normal" places, one in the floppy bay, and one mounted to custom-drilled holes in the side sheetmetal. Sure, the drive was mounted sideways, and I needed a "Y" adapter to power it. But at the time, I needed some semi-permanent larger storage and file-transfer space. Thank goodness I had no long PCI cards or I woulda been screwed. This was a few years ago, before I got a little more sensible and had a couple "spare" enclosures lying around. I am all better now, though.....yeah...sure.

tm311
03-21-2001, 05:47 PM
TTKFPMP!!!

Dogstarman
03-21-2001, 07:01 PM
Lemme see....TTKFPMP.

That's The Kinkiest Friggin' Power Mac , Poppy?

-or-

Well, nevermind. What did YOU intend that to mean?

magician
03-22-2001, 08:27 AM
the approved method is to use just two drives in the two drive bays.

we routinely pull the plastic trays and floppies out of our 7300/7500/7600 machines and run them without their covers on so we can easily swap drives around and PCI cards.

no problem, in my experience (uh, ok, IME), running without a floppy.

strangely....in the past, long away in the dim years of the Mac, I recall being taught that floppy drives were required, else the Mac wouldn't boot, or wouldn't run correctly, or something. I was taught by a master, so I have no doubt that it was true, at one point.

I run bench machines without floppies all the time.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ricercar
03-22-2001, 10:52 PM
IIRC (if i recall correctly) my SE/30 would not boot without the floppy drive connected; however, I may be confusing this with the Plus or Mac II.

On the original topic, back in 1994-5 I hacked two SCSI HDs internally on my SE/30. I spliced a second connector to the original power supply since this was before I learned of y-adapters. Also handmade my SCSI cable by crimping a 3rd SCSI connector into the center of a 2-connection ribbon. For vanity I mounted two LED holders in the top right above the screen for activity indicators. I thought I was so cool my shit didn't stink any more.

This is NOT recommended, I was very ignorant about heat and power consumption issues. A more knowledgable friend sobered me by expressing amazement that I had not blown the power supply when I told him the SE/30 had two HDs, a Rasterops PDS video card, a Daystar CPU accelerator, and eight SIMMs installed.

I then acquired a second SE/30 shell and started planning where to cut the opening for an internal CDROM, but the metal support skeleton was awefully inconvenient. I sold the whole shebang before I figured anywhere aside from a rear-panel vertical opening for a spindle-mount CD drive.

------------------
ricercar

my free 7500 is nickel and diming me to death.