PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Fast SCSI on Powerwave

Richard Phelps
02-14-2001, 10:19 AM
OK - Let me start by saying that I've read most of the SCSI pages here at the GURUS site, but have
limited knowledge of this stuff, and would really appreciate help. I'd like to speed up Photoshop
operation without spending too much cash.

My Powerwave is running a Powerlogix 275/275 G3. Internal devices are 2GIG HD, 3 GIG HD, 24x CD,
and ZIP. External SCSI peripherals are Scanner and 4.5GIG Viking HD, andYamaha CD burner.
All SCSI devices are hooked up directly to the original SCSI busses (no cards used).

I was thinking about the Miles 2 card, and 9.1GB or 18GB Seagate Cheetah listed here, but thin got to wondring
if it is reasonable to be putting around $500 into this vintage machine. G4's are getting pretty cheap, though
I have a GIG of RAM in the Wave, and have got used to having it, so I'd want to similarly equip a new baby.

I guess I don't really understand whether the SCSI throughput numbers effect day to day operation of the program.

Anyway, I guess what I am wondering is if anyone can speak to the speed issues. Am I on the right track
thinking that things like Photoshop rotates, saves, and selections will be speeded up with a snappier drive, or
is it the processor that is the culprit here? How would the Miles 2/Cheetah combo compare in speed to what
comes stock with new G4's these days?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Richard

Miles
02-14-2001, 12:41 PM
Richard,

I have a PowerWave as well. The best choice for performance will be a Miles2 and an X15 Cheetah. This card and drive can migrate to any new machine that you purchase. If, in the future, you decided that 18 GB wasn't enough, you could add a second X15 and stripe them in an array for even greater performance. Your PowerWave will be a limiting factor once you get a second drive in there. With a single drive, you're good as gold.

Once you got a new machine, you could also sell the Miles2 and put in an ATTO UL3 card. Those cards aren't the best choice on a vintage macine and they're more expensive too.

I would go for it, since that setup will rock on your current machine and can be moved to a new machine when the time comes. It will blow the doors off the ATA stuff in current G4s.

G'luck,
Miles

magician
02-14-2001, 01:20 PM
it will not only outperform the storage subsystem in a new G4, it will significantly accelerate Photoshop. You won't realize what a huge chokepoint the stock storage subsystem represents until you try it.

Richard Phelps
02-14-2001, 01:30 PM
Wow - thanks for the super fast replies gang! One other issue if you might be so kind as to address it - what about
noise levels. As you know, the Power machines are already a little bit loud with fan noise, but what could I expect
with the Cheetah drives 9GIG x10 18GIG x10 or x15, versus my Seagate 2GIG (ST32430N) and Quantum Fireball
3GIG units indide there.

Just an aside - when I got the external Viking 4.5 drive, it was so damned noisy, that I put it
under the desk in a 5 sided styrofoam box (loose fitting of course.

Again - thanks for getting back to me so quick!

Richard

Louie
02-14-2001, 03:11 PM
The PowerWave is a great machine for upgrading. It's a 3-slot Tsunami logic board with interleaveable RAM, two on-board SCSI busses and a case that is much easier to work in than a 85/8600. A Miles 2 card and one X15 Cheetah should give you about 40 MB/s sustained transfer rates. You probably get about 8 now.

magician
02-15-2001, 05:00 AM
new Cheetahs will be much quieter than your old drives.