PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini inputs

billybobski
07-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Is there any way of making additional INPUTS into a Mac Mini?

I want to take the video/audio signal coming out of my set-top box (via HDMI) and put it INTO my Mini.

Is this goal worth pursuing, or should I take up golf instead?

Ta.

Allen

yeungfeng
07-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Golfing is really nice this time of year. Those mini's got their name because they are so small. Even if you had the skills to do the job, you wouldn't have the space to do it. Things just aren't like the old G4 Tower days of yore. There might some external thing to hook up, but I'm clueless about that, and a million other things.

billybobski
07-11-2017, 02:46 AM
Thanks yeungfeng, as usual.

I suppose it's the external thing I need, if anything. If I lived 3000 miles due west, I wouldn't need it. Virgin set-top boxes over here are deliberately set up with an option called 'Video Download' NOT allowed, whereas in the States I believe it is allowed.

Anyway, you lucky people can get a simple program called cTivo which lets you link up your Macs to your router to your set-top box, and so download all you like from box to Mac. Over here, not a chance...

But someone somewhere might have developed an external thing which takes the HDMI signal from the box and somehow DOES let you link to it. It is a bit frustrating to have all those lovely high-definition films sitting in a box on my table, which I can only access if I play them through my TV.

Okay, golf it is.

A

ricks
07-11-2017, 08:31 AM
This last OS update to Sierra, I stopped being able to play Amazon Movies on an unprotected output. I no longer can watch a movie at my desk on MacPro. I can watch on a MBP or iMac, but only to an HDMI or built in monitor output.

They are building all sorts of stuff in now to copyright protect. I think you give us too much credit for being able to export.

billybobski
07-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Thanks ricks.

I think that now the Powers That Be have cottoned on to the fact that the internet (etc) is here to stay, everything will eventually settle down, but for the meantime all sorts of restrictions will pointlessly emerge.

For now, "Fore!"

A

unclemac
07-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Any help here (http://www.macworld.com/article/3188824/videos/turn-your-mac-into-a-digital-video-recorder-improve-your-over-the-air-tv-experience.html)?

billybobski
07-14-2017, 06:13 AM
Might well be, unclemac. I shall read that lot at my leisure and try and get to grips with it. Today's not a good day for it, as someone in the UK has broken the internet, and it's like being back on dial-up!

Patience, it will all get quicker again.

Thanks for the link.

A.

surfguy55
09-18-2018, 05:58 AM
I'd rather take up golf lol.