PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt to eSata 2 PORT adaptor recommendatoins

zenmster
10-12-2015, 03:19 PM
can anyone recommend a 2 port eSata adaptor? I'm only finding adaptors with only 1 port + 3.0 USB port which is useless to me. Thanks in advance. ;)

unclemac
10-13-2015, 12:40 PM
I know Rick is not a fan of High Point (primarily for lack of support as I recall), but something like this (http://www.macnn.com/reviews/rocketstor-6324l-thunderbolt-2-esata-bridge.html#ixzz3Eeb9PgXh) will do the trick.

The trick....in this case....is that you can go from a single Mini SAS connection to all kinds of storage, including an adapter to up to 4 eSATA externals with the EXT-MS-1MEJ (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/accessories_EXT-MS-1MEJ.htm) connection cable.

Not cheap, and not small, but something like this should get you there plus with two TB ports, it looks like you can daisy chain, providing more room for growth/options.

ricks
10-13-2015, 03:48 PM
That's pathetic Unc, to post something from Highpoint when we have cheaper better solutions. Highpoint has NO support. If it is a Thunderbolt to PCIe adapter then the Thunder2 is not outdone by anyone. And if we need SAS or SATA cards that is easy as well.

So far, I have not tested any Thunderbplts docks that properly support eSATA for port multipliers. But most of them do fine for one drive per port. Like CalDigit, or Datatale, or Akitio.

Rick

unclemac
10-13-2015, 06:16 PM
DOH!

Sorry, I shoulda thought about it first. Was thinking about backwards.

Makes more sense to put the eSATA card in the PCIe slot, and run em direct. You can kill that post at any time.......:eek:

zenmster
10-14-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm looking to link two esata macburly's to a
15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display

I definitely need a solution to connecting two esata macburly's to my new MCP at the same time.
Thank you!!!

ricks
10-14-2015, 02:17 PM
If those are Burlys that have multiple drives in them then you want/need and will benefit from the Thunder2 Quad with an eSATA PCIe card in it (http://www.macgurus.com/ecom-prodshow/Thunder2.html). Then everything will work like it is supposed to - perfectly.

If you already own a PCIe eSATA card - and you probably do since you own a couple Burlys, then that card *may* work in the Thunder2. I noticed that CalDigit posted a Thunderbolt driver for the FASTA-4e card they made for a number of years. That driver may also work with the Lycom 4e card we sold for so many years since the two cards share identical chipsets. I have not talked to anyone who has tried it though. This week were are carrying the Newertech SATAIII host card specifically to go inside the Thunder2, as of the end of the week we will be carrying a brand new Lycom SATAIII card to go in the Thunder2 - The LycSATA3-4e. It works in any later operating systems and uses built in AHCI drivers, which also makes it bootable. This is a great card and the production shipment is in transit to our warehouse right now.

Rick

unclemac
10-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Don't underestimate the value of using the native drivers.

Too much of a PITA when you want/need to move to a newer OS or hardware and you area stuck waiting for third party drivers....

zenmster
01-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Can anyone tell me if this is the updated version of the card recommended below?

http://www.macgurus.com/Item/Nwr4e6G

2. Instead of the CalDigit unit - can I just plug this card into a Mac desktop and run it from there?

3. If I can use the card above in a desktop Mac - then how would I connect or can I connect the desktop to the MBP (May 2015 release)?

Thank you in advance.

QUOTE=ricks;135337]If those are Burlys that have multiple drives in them then you want/need and will benefit from the Thunder2 Quad with an eSATA PCIe card in it (http://www.macgurus.com/ecom-prodshow/Thunder2.html). Then everything will work like it is supposed to - perfectly.

If you already own a PCIe eSATA card - and you probably do since you own a couple Burlys, then that card *may* work in the Thunder2. I noticed that CalDigit posted a Thunderbolt driver for the FASTA-4e card they made for a number of years. That driver may also work with the Lycom 4e card we sold for so many years since the two cards share identical chipsets. I have not talked to anyone who has tried it though. This week were are carrying the Newertech SATAIII host card specifically to go inside the Thunder2, as of the end of the week we will be carrying a brand new Lycom SATAIII card to go in the Thunder2 - The LycSATA3-4e. It works in any later operating systems and uses built in AHCI drivers, which also makes it bootable. This is a great card and the production shipment is in transit to our warehouse right now.

Rick[/QUOTE]

ricks
01-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Lycom card and the Newer card are similar products from two completely unrelated companies. They perform about the same, however the Lycom card uses built in AHCI drivers and should work with any operating system into the future. The Newer card uses Newer drivers that you have to keep up with.

Lycom is the company that always built the internal cards inside the Burlys.

Rick