PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro 1,1 On Yosemite

schalliol
12-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't been around in a while, but you guys are just so impressive. I thought I'd write in to let you know that you can now run Yosemite on the original Mac Pros. It requires a graphics card change from stock cards, but that's it. There's a pretty big process of modifying the installers, but I just got it done for 10.10.1, and it works great. It really put new life in my older machine.

This thread at Mac Rumors (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740775) walks you through it.

Once I made the update, my machine just seems to run a lot quicker, especially in Aperture because it handles MP better.

You can see the specs of the machine that was originally the stock 2.66 dual dual-core Xeon in my signature, but I was able to upgrade to a pair of quad-core 3.0 CPUs, more RAM, and SSDs for cheap to make this eight year old machine really move.

ricks
12-18-2014, 07:04 PM
That's a really nice writeup. I have a 1,1 sitting around doing nuthin. Might be fun to play.

Rick

rwm
12-18-2014, 07:05 PM
The good ol days. I just don't have the time to fuss with things anymore. Sounds exciting. Sounds like a :kickass: machine.