PDA

View Full Version : Am I nuts : part 2

momo
12-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Wondering if someone can tell me if this is worth 1600 bucks...

Mac Pro 5,1

10.10.1 Yosemite installed

Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8ghz with turbo boost to 3.06

fusion drive 1T

Ati Radeon HD 7950 3g of ram

16gb of memory 1066 mhz ddr3 ecc

Mid 2010 mac pro offered with office and photoshop…

1600 smackers...

Again. This is nearly five years old. I'm not sure it's worth it. I keep thinking macbook pro, apples top of line for about 2300...have a portable just in case, but I basically use my old 2008 macbook pro as a desktop...

opinions?
thanks
M

M.Brane
12-06-2014, 09:32 PM
If http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.8-mid-2010-nehalem-server-specs.html is the one you're talking about then you are basically getting a little under $1K for your MBP. If you don't need the portability you are gaining a lot of performance, and storage options.

Been looking at used Mac Pros myself lately, but there don't seem to be too many bargains to be had. I guess most users around here aren't ready to trade up to Darth Vader's trash can yet.

Damien
12-06-2014, 10:29 PM
mac2sell.net says it's worth about 900 if I have punched in the numbers right

momo
12-07-2014, 09:23 AM
thanks for all this info...i've visited the link, links...

I keep waffling back and forth. I actually bought an echo pro card and thunderbolt adapter from macgurus. Thought I decided on the high end 15" macbook pro and would just hook up my burly that way. I have an external monitor.

Then i see these nice older mac pro's and my mind starts drifting. I like being able to keep all my older and still functioning equipment. Even the little things like firewire card readers. I like the idea of three hard drives in the mac pro besides maybe an ssd for startup, applications. Then what, a pcie card with esata connections for the burly? Haven't researched fully what i'd need.

But my gut tells me go the new computer route. Get apple care. That way my butt is covered in case of a problem. Well for at least the first two, three years? This is for work after all. With the old mac pro I'm on my own.

I'm still on the fence. But I've got to do something between now and the end of January 2015. Need to make up my mind.

Still. Only photography and graphic design being done on this machine. No video work. No music.

Also just figured out costs for a new macbook pro and apple care if i buy on my next trip to the states in January. Comes to about 1900 euros after the exchange rate stuff. Not much more than the old mac pro's I've been looking at.

okokok, thanks again...
M

ricks
12-07-2014, 11:24 AM
The high end MacPro, like the one you list, are getting about that much from what I have seen. I sold mine a year ago for more than that.Seems like a responsible deal if the machine is clean and works well.

MacPros don't die very often. Apple built a tank. So low risk of that happening. Still possible, of course, but not likely.

Rick

momo
02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
but I've decided to go down the new macbook pro road again. Get applecare. done. use my burly with sonnet stuff i bought to attach to it.

Now I'm going through how to transfer stuff to new computer. Applications and making sure of compatibility with yosemite 10.10.

Lots of research, checking. I'll buy the new machine next week. Guess I'll need a firewire to thunderbolt adapter to use my cloned hard drive and be able to migrate via setup assistant. The enclosure I have only has esata, fw800, and usb2.

Thanks to you all for listening to my ramblings about the older mac pro.

I still wish apple did a mac pro that had internal drive space and didn't cost 3 grand to join the club. I was happy years ago at around 2 grand for my G4. I don't do video or music stuff so the current mac pro is overkill for me. I'm just not seeing it as a work station for my needs.

Actually, these higher end macbook pros are pretty powerful and enough for me today and for the foreseeable future.