PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Desktop and Enterprise drives

ricks
11-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Couple years old, but worth the read.

Storage Basics – Part VIII – The Difference in Consumer vs. Enterprise Class Disks and Storage Arrays; or ‘Why is the SAN you are proposing so darn expensive?’ (http://vmtoday.com/2011/04/storage-basics-part-viii-the-difference-in-consumer-vs-enterprise-class-disks-and-storage-arrays-or-why-is-the-san-you-are-proposing-so-darn-expensive/)

As both an IT Manager and storage & virtualization consultant, I have shepherded SMB’s through SAN purchases in support of VMware environments. This may not hold true for the bigger IT shops, but as I take these smaller companies through the SAN purchase process, a common set of questions is often asked – Do we really need a SAN, and why is it so darn expensive!?!? I quickly learned that my (cheeky) answer “because it’s enterprise class, baby” just didn’t cut it. So how do you move beyond “I can get a 2TB hard drive for $100 at Best Buy, why are you selling me on 300GB hard drives for $500 each, and you want me to buy how many?” For me, the answer boils down to a handful of key factors: performance, reliability, availability, supportability, data integrity, and ease of administration. When we’re talking business-class workloads, your 2TB USB disk might have the ease of administration thing going for it (if you can’t plug-n-play that you probably shouldn’t be talking about storage…), but probably falls far short in the other areas.

Read more: Storage Basics – Part VIII – The Difference in Consumer vs. Enterprise Class Disks and Storage Arrays; or ‘Why is the SAN you are proposing so darn expensive?’ Storage Basics – Part VIII (http://vmtoday.com/2011/04/storage-basics-part-viii-the-difference-in-consumer-vs-enterprise-class-disks-and-storage-arrays-or-why-is-the-san-you-are-proposing-so-darn-expensive/)

Damien
11-21-2013, 04:37 PM
I have an enterprise drive... just one and it does not like any bridge I have ever tried. So now that I have the Mini instead of a tower, I can no longer use it. Worked fine as long as it was on a native SATA bus.

It's a 10K raptor 3.5inch, not very big, 150G so I probably would not use it anyway

unclemac
11-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Not sure that the Raptors were "enterprise", though special in their day. I thought they took some enterprise design and retooled it for prosumer use to maximize speed, or some such thing (vs. uptime, data integrity, etc.).

Likely a firmware issue or limitation I would guess. Had a few too. Still one somewhere...

ricks
11-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Raptors always had the noisiest head servo on the planet. Wake the dead.(me, in the afternoon)