PDA

View Full Version : Mac air or MacBook Pro for basic letters, college use

rwm
09-06-2013, 01:51 PM
A caregiver of mine just said she was switching back to a Mac and was going to get a Mac Air... I said whoow, why not Macbook Pro? In some fast reading a Mac Air is cheaper... where is the biggest differences in these newer models I know squat. :o

She'll need to have the ability to work with Word. I showed her how I daily open .doc's or Word files edit, add, change, modify and save it as Pages or Word document. She did not know it was possible.

She has a USB Backup drive. She wants the 13" screen and is looking at the Apple refurbished.

M.Brane
09-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Biggest difference is the Air is not very upgradeable, lacks some connectivity, and graphics horsepower. It is also much thinner, and lighter.

Kris' Air has been a good little Mac. No serious issues. My MBP on the other hand is possessed. Thinking of replacing it with a 13" Air myself.

rwm
09-06-2013, 08:15 PM
The Air looks a little cheaper and cost is a big one here. She won't need much horsepower.

yeungfeng
09-07-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm sure budget is a concern, it always is. If I were buying today, I would get the most RAM and the largest SSD. That's because you can't upgrade so you might want not to have to any time soon.

I'd get this one (http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0ND2LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-20ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7)

but Ii don't need one.

unclemac
09-07-2013, 10:50 PM
MBAs are great these days...... First couple gen machines were a bit underpowered, but for general computing, can't go wrong.

rwm
09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Well, she bought a new 13" MacBook Pro with 8 GB RAM and an i7 2.9GHZ.

She's a student. So no discounts on a refurb. She decided new. I think she'll be happy.

unclemac
09-09-2013, 11:10 PM
There is a student discount though.....hope she got it. 10% is nothing to sneeze at.

rwm
09-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Yes, she went with a new machine because of the 10% student discount.