PDA

View Full Version : Elgato - any experiences?

billybobski
02-09-2013, 08:54 AM
I have Elgato, and over the past couple of years have had average success using it, but my version (at least) seems very sensitive.

I check and recheck my cables (I use phonos from the Elgato unit to a DVD player), but it often just fails, and sits there doing nothing. I've tried switching the cables to an S-VHS cable, but nothing helps.

Have I been unlucky, do you think, and have a duff version?

Or, is there an alternative on the market which does the same job, i.e. converting video film into digital .mov type formats?

Thanks.

Allen.

rwm
02-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I have to admit... never heard of it. :o sorry

ricks
02-09-2013, 05:24 PM
I bought the Canopus analog->digital video converter. It has been flawless, from a hardware standpoint.

2 different things involved here - the hardware - which converts the analog signal off the RCA cables to a digital signal on (usually) Firewire. Then there is the software that builds a file up that can be burned to DVD. It is one thing to capture a movie, quite another to build the movie file and edit it.

Elgato is a consumer product that has both the software and converter in one package. When I did my study on how I wanted to convert a bunch of commercial VCR tapes to DVD, I chose the route where I got the converter and software separate.

I am still a tyro at this. Not having done very many.The process I use is I capture a video into iMovie, edit off the junk and then burn it using Toast. Toast makes the best options for a simple DVD burn and lets me configure quality to fit a single or double sided DVD better than iDVD does.

I have never used Elgato, so I have no idea how it compares.

Rick

billybobski
02-12-2013, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the comments.

The solution was:
an
Ion video2pc "ezcap". About $60 from Amazon UK.

Plugged it in and it worked (in itself impressive!) Did the job, converted video to .mov, job done.

Quite possibly my Elgato hardware was duff - I'll never know as I've binned it.

A.